Estimated quantity of logs from tree sugury

Woodowner

28 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I can’t see how a free lunch changes matters, but let’s not get bogged down on that.

Come on, you're in France... you know that there's some pretty spectacular lunches out there. 

I'd trim the lawn at Manoir aux Quat'Saisons with my teeth if I got three courses at the end of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Joe Newton said:

So... You're saying that they weren't ripped off, correct?

Nope ripped off good style..

And I don't buy this shit about overheads.. plant and equipment are bought to increase efficiency of operation..  get the job done quicker so as to move on to the next one..  Job A should cost X amount of money.   company with expensive equipment makes their money by being able to do job A faster, and at reduced cost if they're good..

ex...  twenty foot tree  to be chopped....  A, has an axe,  horse an cart..  B has a chainsaw and chipper and truck..

Tree is fifty quid job...   A takes all day to fell and take away..  B is there ten minutes...  B gets to do twenty jobs a day.. meanwhile A is gettin fifty.. for same day..

The problem with this job is that A wants the same money as B for the same days work and he does that by cheating the ill informed...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, peds said:

Come on, you're in France... you know that there's some pretty spectacular lunches out there. 

I'd trim the lawn at Manoir aux Quat'Saisons with my teeth if I got three courses at the end of it. 

I remember one lunch time with Mick in an old couples house in France, a good bit of food and wine was offered lol.

Edited by finchyo

18 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Yes, because he's mentioned more than once that he expected the logs to off-set the £1000. I'll assume he did not know or was not informed their Chippers could handle such sizes. So he most likely gauged the sticks he'd get would be much greater. I'll hazard a guess they just let him believe that and chipped away regardless knowing damn well he wanted those logs, albeit slender. Had the guys done this then they might have taken an extra half day. He'd have his logs, the site would also be free of all the Brush they clearly could not be bothered with and he'd feel like he got a good service. Instead he was robbed. By the sounds of it it could very well be a few from here...

There's an awful lot of speculation going on in this thread isn't there. From the above post to @Big Jassuming what the job should have cost from one sketchy photo. 

If the job was done to the agreed spec, there's no issue, if it varied from the agreed spec (assuming there was even a comprehensive spec in writing) then the op needs to get in touch with the company provided he can.

Did the record from what I can see from the photos it does look like a small amount of work for the money, but that's conjecture without knowing the full story. 

I'm guessing the OP only got the one quote. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Joe Newton said:

There's an awful lot of speculation going on in this thread isn't there. From the above post to @Big Jassuming what the job should have cost from one sketchy photo. 

If the job was done to the agreed spec, there's no issue, if it varied from the agreed spec (assuming there was even a comprehensive spec in writing) then the op needs to get in touch with the company provided he can.

Did the record from what I can see from the photos it does look like a small amount of work for the money, but that's conjecture without knowing the full story. 

I'm guessing the OP only got the one quote. 

Somewhat ironic you call out other folks speculation then offer some of your own. :D 

And I don't buy this shit about overheads.. plant and equipment are bought to increase efficiency of operation..  get the job done quicker so as to move on to the next one..  Job A should cost X amount of money.   company with expensive equipment makes their money by being able to do job A faster, and at reduced cost if they're good..

ex...  twenty foot tree  to be chopped....  A, has an axe,  horse an cart..  B has a chainsaw and chipper and truck..

Tree is fifty quid job...   A takes all day to fell and take away..  B is there ten minutes...  B gets to do twenty jobs a day.. meanwhile A is gettin fifty.. for same day..

The problem with this job is that A wants the same money as B for the same days work and he does that by cheating the ill informed...

Now you’ve really blown my brain!!!.... theres no ‘A’ or ‘B’ in Google. WTF Vesp?
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, finchyo said:

I remember one lunch time with Mick in an old couples house in France, a good bit of food and wine was offered lol.

Passed that place the other day and remembered that lunch by strange coincidence Mike. 

Place was all shut up, I’m guessing they’ve moved on...in one way or another.

2 hours ago, Vespasian said:

With the best will in the world I can't see how this job wasn't one were the customer hasn't been ripped off.. and royally.. 

2 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

So... You're saying that they weren't ripped off, correct?

4 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

I'm sorry, I phrased it like a question but it was more of a statement. You WERE saying that they weren't ripped off.