Anyone using a Dolmar 6100 for Forestry Felling?

Jamie Jones

14 minutes ago, markrufrider said:

Hey there Jamie I mite be able to help you with this been in the forestry game for few years but took time out recently to big operation but looking to get back into it any work going please get in touch anyways I had a a 560xp in the forestry great saw for snedding  light powerful but and it’s a big but they do not last had many issues with it it’s not a robust saw to say the least even my husky dealer has quoted it’s a 3 year saw I still have mine but I use it for fire wood if you want a good forestry saw for everything either Dolmar or Stihl or the echo professional range I’ve had husky 560 was not happy with it’s built quality fragile saw we called it ha had a stil ms 441 great saw bit heavy was going to try the Dolmar but didn’t get to test one but you have answered that question witch leaves the echo 620sx now I’m waiting to purchase one this saw has turned my head completly if only demo one for a day but my god it’s impressive very balanced and it feels light in the wood if you get the chance try one u will like it it’s built to last witch I like about Dolmar and echo pro range 

I disagree what you say about the husky 560xp, they are a great saw and well capable of more than 3yrs! one of mine is a 2014 model and gets used most days without any problems 

27 minutes ago, gary112 said:

I disagree what you say about the husky 560xp, they are a great saw and well capable of more than 3yrs! one of mine is a 2014 model and gets used most days without any problems 

I have one of the first . 2011 saw . Still going .

DSCF0026.JPG

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, steve collins said:

how many hours on this saw??

Not many to be fair . It was ported from pretty much day one by petemate  so has always run cooler . Its had a brake handle ( see its broken in the pic )  starter mech as the little dowels bend a primer bulb , up dated carb after a month or so , one or two spark plugs  a new top cover and thats about it really .  Always run on Aspen 4 mixed with Red Line Racing 2t oil at 50:1 .

Edited by Stubby

2 hours ago, markrufrider said:

Hey there Jamie I mite be able to help you with this been in the forestry game for few years but took time out recently to big operation but looking to get back into it any work going please get in touch anyways I had a a 560xp in the forestry great saw for snedding  light powerful but and it’s a big but they do not last had many issues with it it’s not a robust saw to say the least even my husky dealer has quoted it’s a 3 year saw I still have mine but I use it for fire wood if you want a good forestry saw for everything either Dolmar or Stihl or the echo professional range I’ve had husky 560 was not happy with it’s built quality fragile saw we called it ha had a stil ms 441 great saw bit heavy was going to try the Dolmar but didn’t get to test one but you have answered that question witch leaves the echo 620sx now I’m waiting to purchase one this saw has turned my head completly if only demo one for a day but my god it’s impressive very balanced and it feels light in the wood if you get the chance try one u will like it it’s built to last witch I like about Dolmar and echo pro range 

Hi
Really impressed with the 7910 and it chews through wood awesomely.. I find it a little heavy for the snedding because I am not used to Forestry work and I am sure that I will get used to it. While doing the CS32 course it was commented on that a 80cc saw was way more than I needed.. Most people were using 60cc saws and they did seem easier to manoeuvre when snedding..
But I guess you always need a back up... I had thought about getting a second 7910 so I just had different bar lengths on each... But I think having a 60cc & a 80cc would be better than having two 80cc saws..

If you are looking for forestry work I am sure that you will find some in Wales as there are grants for training.... 

I was going to get the Stihl MS462 but the Dolmar was way cheaper and with 20cc extra... It seemed daft not to get one.... as you almost get both a 7910 & a 6100 for the same price..

4 hours ago, DCS6800i said:

The chains are the exact same, just more links/longer... the bars are different shape, size and pattern. For example a 3/8 0.058 in 18" for your 6100 will be a 64 drive link chain, but the same chain is 68 drive links for the 7910 18" bar...

You don't change anything on the saw - leave it alone.

The 6100 will 'take' the bigger bar but it certainly doesn't fit properly! (Been there done that with my 6800)

I have 3/8, 1.5(0.058) on all my blue Dolmars running from 15" right up to 28". For the reasons you are thinking about - you only need 1 file etc for sharpening.

This is  it in a nutshell , there’s an option on new saws .325 or 3/8 

Most times a new one will come with a bar and two chains 

don’t worry about drive sprockets there off the shelf and easy too get the Dolmar bars are pretty robust and will last a decent time 

• Like 1

On 27/12/2018 at 19:42, Jamie Jones said:

Hi
Really impressed with the 7910 and it chews through wood awesomely.. I find it a little heavy for the snedding because I am not used to Forestry work and I am sure that I will get used to it. While doing the CS32 course it was commented on that a 80cc saw was way more than I needed.. Most people were using 60cc saws and they did seem easier to manoeuvre when snedding..
But I guess you always need a back up... I had thought about getting a second 7910 so I just had different bar lengths on each... But I think having a 60cc & a 80cc would be better than having two 80cc saws..

If you are looking for forestry work I am sure that you will find some in Wales as there are grants for training.... 

I was going to get the Stihl MS462 but the Dolmar was way cheaper and with 20cc extra... It seemed daft not to get one.... as you almost get both a 7910 & a 6100 for the same price..

I really like Dolmar their is a new Dolmar just been released or Marita ea5600 I think I’m interested to try this out not sure how good it is but this could be a possibility as well as the 6100 I no my next saw purchase will be either one of these or echo it’s good to have a big saw and a mid saw these are essential I find in forest