Anyone using a Dolmar 6100 for Forestry Felling?

Jamie Jones

I was wondering if anyone is using the 60cc Dolmar 6100 for forestry felling and wondered if you could give me some feed back?

I have just done my CS32 felling course with the Dolmar 7910 80cc saw which chews through the tree truck awesomely quick for felling and logging. I was massively impressed with the saw.. But it is not the lightest of saws for limbing/snedding when you have to chuck that weight about about... So I was wondering if a 6100 would be a better saw to get your overall speed up as it would be lighter for flipping about when snedding which takes the most time... But It would obviously slower when felling....

I had thought about the Dolmar 7310 70cc chainsaw but that is the same chassis and weight as the bigger 7910 that I already have... The 6100 is on a smaller chassis ...

So what are you forestry based Dolmar chainsaw users using for felling and snedding?

Dolmar7910-Forest-Felling-01-JGS.JPG

• Like 1

I used a 6100 for a wee while on demo from Shavey.  Quite liked it, but it was a bit clunky for serious snedding, I didn't think it revved up as well as an equivalent Husky.  OK for felling, OK for snedding, good all round farmers saw, not fully up to speed for proper forestry work, although if money is tight and you're after a single saw to use as a jack of all trades then it would be good.

Might depend on what you're doing with it, I'm mostly softwood (ie Sitka spruce), if you're doing hardwood might be different. 

2 hours ago, Big J said:

I should add that for most forestry work 79cc is excessive. I'd always try to use 50cc and failing that 60cc at a push. Beyond that, I just pay someone else to do it! ?

Have to disagree with that a bit Jonathon, depends too much on what you're doing.  Small stuff small saw is alright, but if you're doing a lot of felling of larger trees - which is what forestry mostly consists of around here - then a big saw is, in my opinion, better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spruce Pirate said:

Have to disagree with that a bit Jonathon, depends too much on what you're doing.  Small stuff small saw is alright, but if you're doing a lot of felling of larger trees - which is what forestry mostly consists of around here - then a big saw is, in my opinion, better.

Fair enough Wallis! As I said though, I just get someone else to do the felling if it gets that big but for most of the sites I've ever worked on 50-60cc has been ideal for the bulk of the work with larger saws only needed occasionally.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Big J said:

Fair enough Wallis! As I said though, I just get someone else to do the felling if it gets that big but for most of the sites I've ever worked on 50-60cc has been ideal for the bulk of the work with larger saws only needed occasionally.

Yeah, I think it's just horses for courses.  When I started on a saw it was thinnings, normally 40cc - 50cc saws, 13" bars, 15" absolute max.  Most of that work has now gone to machines, hand cutters predominantly left with the big stuff.

• Like 3

Yeah the 6100 isn’t as nimble as some of the huskies that size and probably not the best for smaller softwoods it’s ideal for hardwood 

And  logging , a useful saw on 20” 24” bar 

I’ve put a few of them out there mostly in hardwood felling 

and chestnut coppicing everyone seems too get on ok 

Hey Wallace I gotta mastermind 6100 coming over soon 

look forward too see how that’ll perform

• Like 1