Woodland price???

Harry_L

Do you mean the purchase of an acre of standing timber to coppice or an acre of woodland to buy?

What is the 60-80 tonne total product, fencing material, firewood, chip or all three?

You would also need to cost extraction as well as haulage and that depends on access/location and how well you have planned your felling operation etc, have you any experience of any of this?

Do you mean the purchase of an acre of standing timber to coppice or an acre of woodland to buy?
What is the 60-80 tonne total product, fencing material, firewood, chip or all three?
You would also need to cost extraction as well as haulage and that depends on access/location and how well you have planned your felling operation etc, have you any experience of any of this?

I mean purchase an acre of standing timber to coppice not buy an acre of woodland. The product would be firewood, i know people who can extract so that wont be a problem to sort out. As for experience, reletivly new as i have coppiced a few acers for other people before. I just wanted to see costs of everything to work some prices out. Thanks for any help

I cannot answer your question of what should it cost to buy an acre of Oak coppice for felling.  But I can tell you what I pay for such timber when it is delivered to me as firewood. 

Currently £46 per ton delivered.  This could be different in your area of course.  So if there is 70 tons in the end, that is worth (I would say) £3220 but that is delivered to the customer and it will need three trips with a timber lorry, so that means you will only get to see about £2500 or so.

At a guess if you have to pay someone say £500 for extracting and stacking you will only really be getting £2000.  So I guess the answer is unless you are a very fast worker you should not pay much for the timber - if anything.

For a larger site using heavy machinery it is a different ball game as you may be able to fell and extract hundreds of tons in a day, but if it is just one acre you will just be hand felling I assume.

I would advise making enquiries of firewood sellers in your area to see what price they will buy Oak cordwood for.  Bear in mind that Oak is not the favourite firewood as it is so difficult to dry.

• Like 1

I cannot answer your question of what should it cost to buy an acre of Oak coppice for felling.  But I can tell you what I pay for such timber when it is delivered to me as firewood. 

Currently £46 per ton delivered.  This could be different in your area of course.  So if there is 70 tons in the end, that is worth (I would say) £3220 but that is delivered to the customer and it will need three trips with a timber lorry, so that means you will only get to see about £2500 or so.

At a guess if you have to pay someone say £500 for extracting and stacking you will only really be getting £2000.  So I guess the answer is unless you are a very fast worker you should not pay much for the timber - if anything.

For a larger site using heavy machinery it is a different ball game as you may be able to fell and extract hundreds of tons in a day, but if it is just one acre you will just be hand felling I assume.

I would advise making enquiries of firewood sellers in your area to see what price they will buy Oak cordwood for.  Bear in mind that Oak is not the favourite firewood as it is so difficult to dry.
Ok thanks for the information, very much appreciated ?