Facebook video. Graphic accident

Tommy_B

Everyone cuts corners in one way or other on jobs.

It can range from dropping a big top in a tight space to save time to risking digging the saw in the dirt bucking a butt up.

May be so Mick, but not face cutting a major stem like that is most possibly going to end up in a disaster, I would be mortified if my boys had done that on a job, if they got away with it and I found out they’d be unemployed.

1 minute ago, Jcarbor said:

May be so Mick, but not face cutting a major stem like that is most possibly going to end up in a disaster, I would be mortified if my boys had done that on a job, if they got away with it and I found out they’d be unemployed.

To reiterate Marks comment one last time ..... He did cut a gob . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jcarbor said:

You asked why cut corners? The answer is to save time.

If someone put those two stems on the floor from 10 ft by using the right cuts and a quick saw, thereby allowing the boss to invoice the job and get the entire crew on the next site, he’d get a pat on the back.

Btw, he did face cut it, it just doesn’t show it in the short video (according to Mark Bolam)

2 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

No - if you read the exerpt i posted above JB is talking about felling huge leaners without touching the front of the tree at all, takes sides out to better than a third of diameter, wedge if it favours one side and back cut fast till its gone. I accept Petes explanations as to why this cut isnt always suitable, but a face cut notch not always used by experienced people

some will not read all the posts, at least not carefully, at hoyc how could you have missed that info clearly included above?

2 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

Ive always thought forums will be at least half amateurs, as many pros are fed up with helping newbies and dont want to think about work when they get home

I get the impression some here are none too impressed by my ratchet strap suggestion. Just FYI, I'm not an amateur. There was/is some confusion about whether he cut a gob or not - I didn't watch the "director's cut" - I've been working betimes. The principal of "binding" a tree, is long standing. It's basic physics. Gerald Berenek himself advises it in The Fundamentals. And he used to top redwoods seven foot diameter at 200 feet up. 

• Like 3

You asked why cut corners? The answer is to save time.

If someone put those two stems on the floor from 10 ft by using the right cuts and a quick saw, thereby allowing the boss to invoice the job and get the entire crew on the next site, he’d get a pat on the back.

Btw, he did face cut it, it just doesn’t show it in the short video (according to Mark Bolam)

Times not an issue in the work that we do, safety is and I’m lucky that the clients that I work for listen to what we need to do the detail and are willing to pay for it do be done so.. As for the face cut I may be wrong. Still a bad call to do what he did.