Facebook video. Graphic accident

Tommy_B

Showed my boss the video last week and he got us all together one morning and we all talked through the incident and the ways it could of been avoided.

It’s a harsh reminder that we are in an industry that can be very dangerous if not approached and tackled in the appropriate manner.

Well done for drawing your bosses attention to it, please stay safe.
  • Like 1

i do wonder about the effect of some of the videos on youtube from the top climbers rigging and felling out monster pieces??? very hard to convey the decades of experience and thought processes needed to execute these jobs safely.

all to easy to try and copy without the underpinning knowledge.

i guess people just need to realize where their skills are at.

carl 

• Like 8

20 hours ago, 5 shires said:

I think everyone who has posted on this subject has made a lot of relevant and well judged points as have I but it sounds like a few of the comments made including mine sound like it’s shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted and it’s easy to criticise after the event but I stand by my first statement that if a little more time and thought put into thinking out how to carry out the removal of the tree would have not resulted in a near fatal accident,because that’s what it was just an accident but an unavoidable one.we have all had close shaves doing this kind of work and who ever says they haven’t they are lying,it’s part of what we do and no matter how much we follow the health and  safety protocol the forces of nature dictate that we are venerable.i for one think that posting an accident like that brings home how quickly things can go wrong and Man v Tree is only one winner,we are 90% H20. 

As above my comments and all who have posted on here about this certain accident and I will ask the quotations which we all would like to know.(1) can anyone tell us if this guy is ok?.(1) we’re was the job and who was doing it?(3) who was filming and what did they do to help?.and (4) was it recent or a quite a while ago...just a few answers would be good..no one will judge,I certainly won’t as have already said and openly given my thoughts...even if someone can tell us if the guy is alright would be enough.

10 hours ago, carlos said:

i do wonder about the effect of some of the videos on youtube from the top climbers rigging and felling out monster pieces??? very hard to convey the decades of experience and thought processes needed to execute these jobs safely.

all to easy to try and copy without the underpinning knowledge.

i guess people just need to realize where their skills are at.

carl 

Yep, quite often I will set up a top or a big piece and look at it, look at the rope guy, look at it again, then reset it smaller and do it in two hits.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 3

My question with regard to the phone is it’s usually very telling if someone feels the need to get themselves in a good position and film the operation about to be undertaken.

In general it points straight away that it’s something out of the ordinary for them, or there’s some element of risk they perceive in the operation.

I wouldn’t think it unusual in the first few days for someone to film one of my machines taking a big bite or whatever, they perhaps haven’t witnessed larger machines working and no issues.

In general when guys have settled down you almost know when the phones will come out.

Always on the difficult bits, bigger lumps, pull ropes, winching etc and generally like someone watching Motor Racing they don’t want it to go wrong, but if it does it adds a bit of interest.

It leads me to the situation here, someone on that phone is filming that because it’s not an operation they’re familiar with or they perceive an element of it going wrong?

I’ve not seen the need for good teams to film themselves every cut and I’d think most teams worthy of being in the job could drop that without incident, stunt felling or the need to film each other?

My main point is, if one of the team says, “hang on I want to film this” take a pause and ask them why, what’s so unusual, and do they see a chance of something going wrong?

Then tell them to put the bloody thing away and get some work done!?

Eddie.

• Like 7

Absolutely, that would have been played on the Truck bonnet by a few having a morning brief this week perhaps?
That’s after gathering them up, getting them off their phone, stopping them talking or looking like the Flying Scotsman pulling out of Kings Cross on a cold morning by puffing away on a vape!
All whilst the quiet one ticks all the boxes on a telephone book of paperwork that’s all put back in the ‘pack’ if you want it.

I’ve had enough of these generic glaze overs to know they’re generally just a routine and as long as the paperwork is done all is good to go.

The industry screams out for the Foreman role, someone with some respect and some bite to his bark.
No need for conflict, being asked to pack your stuff, go home and await a call is shock enough for most to realise they’ve overstepped the mark.
Proper experienced guys leading projects and utilising the team in the best way, use the skills of the people around them to deliver projects safely, whilst nurturing new talent within a team.

Buy all the Tickets you want, join every association going, but you can never buy experience.
Guys need to know what’s expected of them, not be scared to ask for help, have no fear of speaking up at a briefing, and everyone should at all times feel able to just say can we stop and have another look at this first?

I’ve nothing to add about the video that is pretty hard to watch, I sincerely hope the guy made a speedy and full recovery, it’s a very tragic gift to guys like myself running kit in educating that could be done without manual intervention.

One question for me would be who’s got the phone out filming and why?

Eddie.

One of the best post I’ve read on here for a while. Take my hat off to you.
  • Like 5