Facebook video. Graphic accident

Tommy_B

Some of the worse work I’ve seen by contractors has been by AA approved ones ... the bartletts video was another classic , being AA approved didn’t help them.
There are many schemes run that the AA use to improve paper work and health and safety and you don’t have to be an approved contractor to do or use them.
Saying that becoming an AA approved contactor and you will have the answer on every thread you see with an issue is crap ... sorry.

Bartletts don’t you just love em[emoji23], being an AAac doesnt mean you are better than others but It does open your eyes to some good practices and advise. we have been there and done it so have seen it from both sides.

17 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

I think that Bartletts vid (and the apparent lack of obvious consequences with regards approved contractor status) did the AA no favours at all within the industry unfortunately. 

I totally aggree, I did raise that point with Paul Smith but like I thought it would it got swept under the carpet, not by Paul but by the AA, it pretty much means being AAAc is really an office thing and means v little from out side the industry.

• Like 4

I will defend the AA ( being approved ;P ) in that we need a standards setting body ( which it is good at ) but in no way can or will ever manage to police properly it's approved contractors. The HSE 'can bite' when needed , much to Barletts dismay, and should. But everyone should work to be as good on the job as they can. Regardless of role- like- rolling me a fag on demand . K

5 minutes ago, Khriss said:

I will defend the AA ( being approved ? ) in that we need a standards setting body ( which it is good at ) but in no way can or will ever manage to police properly it's approved contractors. The HSE 'can bite' when needed , much to Barletts dismay, and should. But everyone should work to be as good on the job as they can. Regardless of role- like- rolling me a fag on demand . K

Totally agree Khriss, the AA does do some good work and yes I'm a member, I just think the AAAc is a bit "plastic" its there for its contractors to supposedly stick by but when its a major sponsor eyes get closed while the shit blows over! I wish the AA would sell the scheme more to the outside world rather than selling it to tree surgeons who then have to try and sell it the public. 

• Thanks 1

I will defend the AA ( being approved ;P ) in that we need a standards setting body ( which it is good at ) but in no way can or will ever manage to police properly it's approved contractors. The HSE 'can bite' when needed , much to Barletts dismay, and should. But everyone should work to be as good on the job as they can. Regardless of role- like- rolling me a fag on demand . K

Standards at what though ? There is obviously something missing as this and the Bartlett’s video demonstrate.
I think Craig hit the nail on the head with his post , they just sat back and watched !..
Unfortunately you can come in to this industry and just because you have passed Cs units under the risk assessment you can do what you like.. it’s ticked boxes but have no experience and there are consequences as it obviously shows and I’ve seen and heard time and time again.
Apprenticeships , keeping staff on with fair wages who have experience and can share knowledge on site are what’s needed and the only thing that will change this are better conditions,terms and pay for employees otherwise they just bugger off and become the freelancers who do the assessments on approval day.
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, MattyF said:

By all accounts as long as you leave a paper trail of bollocks you can treat your workers how you please.
I have seen AA contractors send there workers out with damaged winches , no one in that crew had a fmc for a PTO winch or any previous experience in using one so had no idea of forces or where to stand or carry out the operation, they where paid absolute peanuts for doing a whole dangerous job unqualified or with any experience to do so.. this is why accidents happen but because they probably had a paper trail and are paying the office admin more than there supposed skilled workers it’s ok if anything had gone tits up it all would of been good.
Come assessment day you can hire in some subbys to do it all for you anyway whilst keeping your staff at minimum wage.

AA contractors sending unqualified staff out with a PTO winch, now someone said to join the AA contractors list has it would bring me up to speed on risk ? to take a tractor and PTO winch on a site with no proper training is putting all on site at risk, because if your stood in the wrong place using a PTO winch is deadly, FMOC tickets are not the easiest to aquire as there aint that many guys doing the assessments, but as you say matty stood in the wrong place, pulling masses, pulling angles and where to pull from, you learn the basics in FMOC training but you will learn a shit load more when your out there doing it day in day out.