Facebook video. Graphic accident

Tommy_B

'Gerald Berenek himself advises it in The Fundamentals'. it's a good book but in forty years haven't most things  moved on and it not that relevant to the work we do in the UK

Hi craig, as a well respected and fellow yorkshire arborist whats your opinion on this unfortunate incident, you like me have many years of tree work experience behind us and an awful lot stories to tell.

Its now ancient legislation now JC, 1974 it came in , no one took any notice in Arb until the insurance and banking sector started baulking at the bigger n bigger sums of cash paid out on claims ( oooo me back ! ) so started refering back to employers and industry to sort out their acts . The end result is that poor bloke will not succeed with a claim , cos , guess wot ..... all captured on camera . The volume of spurious claims over the years means insurance companies go to rediculous lengths to wriggle out of pay out . K

Chris, I’m don’t know how long you’ve been in the trade, but when i started out there was only one company that would insure you,this was because there had been so many incidents/accidents and claims that the risk was too high. It was an industry that was high risk but any fool with a chainsaw and a van could set up in. I like to think that its a bit more professional now, but alas it still attracts those same types of people who have absolutely no idea how to do the job safely ,to a good standard and invest in training CPD and expensive conforming kit and PPE. These sorts of avoidable incidents have a knock on effect for companies who strive to do the job right by increasing costs to cover claims. Doing the job right and having the correct H&S Structure in place also leads to the high end contracts that pays for all of that effort and conformity. It pays to do it right. Season greetings to you.
  • Like 1

Yes it is.
Otherwise how on earth do you price jobs?

Get the price/time right then the jobs an earner and no rushing because your going to be out of pocket, its easy. Oh a one other point don’t buy work in like a lot of companies do, that includes large utility companies who end up going bust.

On 16/12/2018 at 09:06, tree-fancier123 said:

Whats your take on it , should have climbed higher, or tried a xxxxx special felling cut? From the comfort of my armchair and having watched Beranek DVD the Coos bay may have got him home in better shape

There Is a number of ways which that double stem pop could have been taken down in a safe and controlled manner and anyone of us who has any experience at all would have chosen our own best method to do so,this guy was obviously out of his depth and no way near experienced enough to tackle that tree,and not to state the obvious it doesn’t look like the most difficult removal in the world,climb higher and reduce each single stem or climb stem on left hand side and repel over to right hand side and remove most of crown then fell remaining stem then return to vertical stem and repeat or clear fell.just one option,god knows why he was allowed to do it?may be the guys watching could post a comment?

Edited by 5 shires
  • Like 2

so a method statement and risk assessment will stop things happening like the video at begining of this thread ? well i didnt know that, and then when its happened you draw up a new plan ? bit late shutting the stable door when the horse has gone, No paper work on this earth will stop accidents happening, shit happens and it always will do WE are all human and not one of us is perfect,

Spuddog, i think you may have not understood my post, first step I look at every job that we do, I evaluate the job and come up with a method and system, My team take that MS and carry out the job as close as to that as possible, they do a site specific RA. If the MS has to change for whatever reason then they amend it and I don’t mean when something HAS gone wrong!, if its a big deviation from the method then I would expect the team leader to contact me and discuss the issues if I ain’t on site. A lot of work that we do is high risk highways , EA and commercial work that said every job has the potential to cause risk.
A good idea to get up to speed with risk and how to manage it is to become an AA approved contractor it teaches you a lot.

16 minutes ago, Jcarbor said:

Spuddog, i think you may have not understood my post, first step I look at every job that we do, I evaluate the job and come up with a method and system, My team take that MS and carry out the job as close as to that as possible, they do a site specific RA. If the MS has to change for whatever reason then they amend it and I don’t mean when something HAS gone wrong!, if its a big deviation from the method then I would expect the team leader to contact me and discuss the issues if I ain’t on site. A lot of work that we do is high risk highways , EA and commercial work that said every job has the potential to cause risk.
A good idea to get up to speed with risk and how to manage it is to become an AA approved contractor it teaches you a lot.

Oh i understood it but the way it reads is if you write a risk assessment and do a method statement nothing will happen, and to become a AA approved contractor why would i need that to get up to speed on risk and how to manage it ? i do plenty of risk assessments with what i get involved with i run up to 8 cutters and they are all hand picked and if they dont come up to speed along with being safe they dont stay, simple as that,

• Like 1

Some of the worse work I’ve seen by contractors has been by AA approved ones ... the bartletts video was another classic , being AA approved didn’t help them.
There are many schemes run that the AA use to improve paper work and health and safety and you don’t have to be an approved contractor to do or use them.
Saying that becoming an AA approved contactor and you will have the answer on every thread you see with an issue is crap ... sorry.

• Like 6

Oh i understood it but the way it reads is if you write a risk assessment and do a method statement nothing will happen, and to become a AA approved contractor why would i need that to get up to speed on risk and how to manage it ? i do plenty of risk assessments with what i get involved with i run up to 8 cutters and they are all hand picked and if they dont come up to speed along with being safe they dont stay, simple as that,

Give over, shit happens but what happened in that incident was totally avoidable, the incident occurred because of having no concept of the potential dangers of his actions, it was totally foreseeable that the possibility of a mishap was coming.

5 minutes ago, Jcarbor said:

Give over, shit happens but what happened in that incident was totally avoidable, the incident occurred because of having no concept of the potential dangers of his actions, it was totally foreseeable that the possibility of a mishap was coming.

Shit happens, i said that several posts back, and it always will do,