Facebook video. Graphic accident

Tommy_B

I get the impression some here are none too impressed by my ratchet strap suggestion. Just FYI, I'm not an amateur. There was/is some confusion about whether he cut a gob or not - I didn't watch the "director's cut" - I've been working betimes. The principal of "binding" a tree, is long standing. It's basic physics. Gerald Berenek himself advises it in The Fundamentals. And he used to top redwoods seven foot diameter at 200 feet up. 

We often strap rotten knackered tree stems together, but that tree should have been taken down from the tip to the base either by climbing or preferably by a tracked MEWP.

The majority of us will have knocked out big lumps at one time or another so I’m going to assume that this accident is probably the result of a pissing contest, that and the fact that we live in an age where everyone wants a second of social media praise and fame so when the opportunity arises to knock out a “big top” people jump at it

the above points coupled with a dose of inexperience and you’ve got the video we’ve all just watched 

hope the guy is ok now and the other blokes on site got the wake up call they needed 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jcarbor said:

Times not an issue in the work that we do, safety is and I’m lucky that the clients that I work for listen to what we need to do the detail and are willing to pay for it do be done so.. As for the face cut I may be wrong. Still a bad call to do what he did.

You represent probably 0.01% of Arb work then. The rest of us are on the clock & if you are professional and working at speed (or not) then safety is still the priority. Some of the most productive crews I have ever worked with have been the most switched on & safety orientated.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Haironyourchest said:

I get the impression some here are none too impressed by my ratchet strap suggestion. Just FYI, I'm not an amateur. There was/is some confusion about whether he cut a gob or not - I didn't watch the "director's cut" - I've been working betimes. The principal of "binding" a tree, is long standing. It's basic physics. Gerald Berenek himself advises it in The Fundamentals. And he used to top redwoods seven foot diameter at 200 feet up. 

I disagree. I recall posts of yours about leaving multiple pegs on the way up to descend on, and about how you would use a pole saw to take the top out of a dead tree whilst being tied in be beneath it. I'm sure there are others too. 

That is not conducive of a professional climber. It points to somebody who's figured out bits on their own without having had proper guidance or training to a decent standard.

It's not a personal attack, but when people who are clearly out of their depth with proper tree work start dishing out poor advice on a forum, it's frankly irritating and downright dangerous to people who know no better. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Joe Newton said:

I disagree. I recall posts of yours about leaving multiple pegs on the way up to descend on, and about how you would use a pole saw to take the top out of a dead tree whilst being tied in be beneath it. I'm sure there are others too. 

That is not conducive of a professional climber. It points to somebody who's figured out bits on their own without having had proper guidance or training to a decent standard.

It's not a personal attack, but when people who are clearly out of their depth with proper tree work start dishing out poor advice on a forum, it's frankly irritating and downright dangerous to people who know no better. 

Amateur: a person who works for free, for the love of the work itself.

Professional: a person who works for pay.

I'm certified to climb and cut, which makes me competent in the eyes of the industry.

Yes, I've had to figure it out on my own, Joe. Just like everything else I've ever done. Built several houses (for pay) and renovated several more. Installed plumbing systems, gas appliances, fabricated metalwork and led hillwalking groups (for pay). All professional. Never had an accident (touching wood), never broken a bone. Crashed my car once when I was seventeen and never since. Trust me, my advice ain't bad.

Edited by Haironyourchest
spelling...Christ.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I accept that from his position you are correct about the danger of just flopping it he is not high enough to guarantee it wont come back if the tips hit before it parts with the stump, my comment was in reply to hair on yours more general statement that youre always in trouble without a gob. Not so, and taking the sides out to a third,  without a gob, then back cutting is a perfect good method a for flopping leaners from the ground and b for limbs if high enough up to guarantee the tips wont land before it tears off. 
If he really wanted that whole lot in one I cant see why a dogtooth wouldnt be safe?

Personally I avoid dogtooth cuts when I’m on a strop/flipline, there’s nowhere to go if the saw kicks back. I’m firmly in the go small, go home camp!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Amateur: a person who works for free, for the love of the work itself.

Processional: a person who works for pay.

I'm certified to climb and cut, which makes me competent in the eyes of the industry.

Yes, I've had to figure it out on my own, Joe. Just like everything else I've ever done. Built several houses (for pay) and renovated several more. Installed plumbing systems, gas appliances, fabricated metalwork and led hillwalking groups (for pay). All professional. Never had an accident (touching wood), never broken a bone. Crashed my car once when I was seventeen and never since. Trust me, my advice ain't bad.

ok  you get paid for what you do that does not make you competent your own comments would prevent you working on any site I worked on   risk assessment says is the person/persons qualified and competent to do the job  being qualified  means you can be on site it does not mean you can carry out the task in hand 

• Like 1

one story of warning regarding dogtooth cuts, a friend was trying to fell out an ash stem simmilar to the one in the vid, he realised the chance of a barber chair so put in a dog tooth cut but left the hinge too thick and when he cut the back release bit it barber chaired instantly up from the back of the hinge, thankfully it didnt get him, very horrible to watch from the ground, not to mention being up there.

regarding a ratchet strap- if you  think you need to strap the tree to stop it splitting then is that really the best, safest option? if you can climb higher and take smaller bits then id say not.

carl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1