Facebook video. Graphic accident

Tommy_B

33 minutes ago, Pete Mctree said:

I don't understand the point you are trying to make - that you could safely cut that tree with a face cut? 

Anything but a face cut would be at the best be folly - you would remove  all control over the cut piece - even if you avoided the barberschair then direction & the way is would depart the stump would be unpredictable & dangerous. 

I accept that from his position you are correct about the danger of just flopping it he is not high enough to guarantee it wont come back if the tips hit before it parts with the stump, my comment was in reply to hair on yours more general statement that youre always in trouble without a gob. Not so, and taking the sides out to a third,  without a gob, then back cutting is a perfect good method a for flopping leaners from the ground and b for limbs if high enough up to guarantee the tips wont land before it tears off. 

If he really wanted that whole lot in one I cant see why a dogtooth wouldnt be safe?

It is dangerous to say that the lad didn’t cut a gob.
The longer version of the vid shows he did.
People might look at that and think ‘Aah, no gob, someone on the internet said. So if I’m in the same situation and cut a gob everything will work out just dandy’.

Very good point mr Bolam.

Most of the comments on here are futile, we simply don’t know what was going on.
We weren’t there.

No gob
No high tie in.

All bollocks.
Really glad the lad survived.

Some of the comments on here have been embarrassing, at best.

We do a lot of highways and utility work, if that had been my site I would Have put a 25 metre tracked MEWP on it, that team of lads have been let down by their management team. Shite tall thin co dominent stems like that cry out MEWP.

we all cut corners now and then and get away with it, this guy did cut corners by clearly not using a gob cut that he has proberbly done before and it worked ok, but this time he didn,t get away with it, it looks nasty and i hope the guy is ok, but he will of learnt a massive lesson with that, one thing that springs to mind with me is that it was,nt by chance a Friday was it ? 

Why do you cut corners? Its a dangerous enough job when you do it right.