Facebook video. Graphic accident

Tommy_B

2 hours ago, Wonky said:

I'm not claiming to know much, but a tree with two stems and bark included ?. And I had thought it was a poplar,  known to be weak and splits.

On the other left hand main stem that he’s not cutting looks like it’s had some branches cut off higher up on the right side. ? Has someone already been up there?.

So should the two stems be strapped together first, and the guy tied in on the main left hand up high while cutting a bit higher on the right sided stem. I know this is all a bit late for the guy in the vid, (not a nice vid and I hope he makes a full recovery) but I would like to broaden my knowledge. Albeit there’s many ways it could be done by different experienced guys.

cheers

As Mr Bolam says, go small, go home.

You could get all fancy strapping the two together and try to fell the lot under control (assisted fell). But keep it simple, climb as high as you feel comfortable and then go higher, that is the safest place to take a top! 

Wishing the guy in the video a quick recovery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gray git said:

Nasty, as bad as it is sharing might prevent it happening again so my staff will be getting to see this

Absolutely, if the right way to do a job takes a hundred times longer but you get to keep all your vertebrae intact, people should know why they need to take the longer option. 

• Like 2

Really hope this chap is ok ?

Any idea who the company they were working for is? A comment on the Facebook post hinted at “a company known for lack of training and safety”, without knowing better it sounds similar to the video of the IDverde lads felling that large pop with no road closure? Best wishes the climber, no one deserves that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Treetom15 said:

Really hope this chap is ok ?

Any idea who the company they were working for is? A comment on the Facebook post hinted at “a company known for lack of training and safety”, without knowing better it sounds similar to the video of the IDverde lads felling that large pop with no road closure? Best wishes the climber, no one deserves that. 

Agreed . No one does deserve that . But in this instance he was not a climber . he was a " ladderrerr " .

So it's hard to see in the short and blurry 8 second clip posted at the start of this thread, but there's a much longer version available in AO on Facebook that clearly shows a rope high up in the left stem... so he (or someone else?!) had already gone up to a decent height and could have taken the right stem from much higher up... 

Give me a second and I'll see if I can link the longer video. 

Edit:
Tricky to embed the video, follow this link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1521424731466112/permalink/2214678398807405/

The guy is also working for a good minute on what looks to be a gob before making his final cut, although it is hard to tell from this angle and distance.

Edited by peds

That video certainly is doin the rounds.If your gonna take that full stem you better know what your doin and he clearly didnt.

Dont see and anchor point up into the left hand stem,which probably benefited him as he fell with the impact.

Read somewhere he had a broken collar bone and crushed vertebrae.

Edited by stihlmadasever

30 minutes ago, peds said:

^^ please see post above, it's hard to see but he has an anchor high up in the left stem, visible in the longer video (2 min 45ish)

Yes and he clearly cuts a gob. 

It seems obvious he was being the "big man" for the video.

Obviously very inexperienced.

• Like 3