Facebook video. Graphic accident

Tommy_B

Looks more like a suicide bid than an accident. With luck the poor chap will recover long before the accident report/HSE shitfest is written up. I don`t even know why he was up there ,  if it was a fell and there was enough room for the limb he was cutting there was enough for the whole tree. Why remove weight from that side if it can be felled?

Bob

Edited by aspenarb
adding more bollocks
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, scotspine1 said:

PS if you're going to be felling out huge stems or branches from a climbing position within the tree you seriously need years of prior experience working up to the big stuff and a sharp 60cc+ saw. 

And a " gob " cut .

doesnt look so leaning to me?

no gob on a bit that size is madness!  would a normal gob of prevented a barber chair or would a dog tooth been enough?

or like others have said just take a smaller piece.

very nasty, hope he recovers ok horrible for the other guys too. 

• Like 1

One of my principles I try to get across to newcomers I work with is that accidents are more likely or worse when you are being greedy, and by this I mean trying fell or lower too much timber with one cut. If in doubt take it in smaller pieces.

Another phrase I learnt from an older tree surgeon is : "There be old tree surgeons and there be bold tree surgeons, but there be no old bold tree surgeons". 

Agreed, I hope the the guy does OK.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aspenarb said:

I don`t even know why he was up there ,  if it was a fell and there was enough room for the limb he was cutting there was enough for the whole tree. Why remove weight from that side if it can be felled?

now you mention it yes - his cut is only approx 15ft off the ground, even had a tracked chipper to help pull it over

Horrible video. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if the method statement insisted on a dismantle as deemed less risk to the network than a fell. They have technically gone for a dismantle... 

The climber unfortunately appears either to be rushing/lazy/inexperienced/scared of heights (or a combination of the above). 

In fairness, there could be a gob, and he is out of the way of the initial barber’s chair. From the vid the stem’s lean doesn’t look massive - a committed fast backcut with a sharp saw looks like it should work, but a better choice of cut would obviously be prudent.

I wish him a speedy recovery - very lucky if he’s survived that at all! 

Hopefully someone will watch this and think twice before making the same mistake. 

I'm not claiming to know much, but a tree with two stems and bark included ?. And I had thought it was a poplar,  known to be weak and splits.

On the other left hand main stem that he’s not cutting looks like it’s had some branches cut off higher up on the right side. ? Has someone already been up there?.

So should the two stems be strapped together first, and the guy tied in on the main left hand up high while cutting a bit higher on the right sided stem. I know this is all a bit late for the guy in the vid, (not a nice vid and I hope he makes a full recovery) but I would like to broaden my knowledge. Albeit there’s many ways it could be done by different experienced guys.

cheers