What's everyone's favourite chopping axe?

mac2

You can get it for far less than that.

x39 here for £51

https://garden.jardinitis.com/productos/herramientas-de-jardineria-y-bricolaje/herramientas-de-jardineria-1/serruchos-sierras-y-hachas/maza-cuna-fiskars-2-5-kg-novagrip-prevea-golpes?gclid=CjwKCAiAjNjgBRAgEiwAGLlf2oyCbBhRgFKfunXiDMXAimRgubhIMWGd7b3f-xFnoL4rEG22giJOFxoC_oAQAvD_BwE

that's a 6lb head maul

there's a true big boy, x46, which i think is an 8lb head

£80 on amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004BTZKJM/ref=asc_df_B004BTZKJM57517164/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B004BTZKJM&linkCode=df0&hvadid=258536951956&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2557673180365096043&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045877&hvtargid=pla-437658674296&th=1&psc=1

the construction of these looks to be fairly simple head and standard fit f a standrd fibreglass handle ....could be wrong, just going on photos.

The isocore looks a lot better to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Core-Maul-Inch-751110-1001/dp/B014M9LQGG?_encoding=UTF8&path=%2FFiskars-Core-Maul-Inch-751110-1001%2Fdp%2FB014M9LQGG&useRedirectOnSuccess=1&

and wow!  there's a seller that will sell and ship to the UK for just under $70,  last time i look I couldn't get it for less than £95-£100.    Tempted to order one....although th 8lb pro stihl maul/cleaving hammer (same as the 8lb oschenkof, just red not yellow)is already in my garage...hmm..

I've been using a cheap 6lb maul from screwfix for the last few years, bought as a set with a hand axe and a "wood grenade".  I also have a 12lb sledge, a Fiskars wedge (one with a twist in it) and recently bought but not used yet x27.

My experience is that the maul needed some work with a file to get it to work but I'm pretty happy with it now.  I modified the shape a bit as well as giving it an edge of sorts.  The hand axe is OK just needed sharpening but I don't use it much.  Both are made from pretty soft metal though.  The wood grenade is pretty useless but if desperate I can use it as a wedge in a crack already opened by the fiskars wedge or maul.  Otherwise it just acts more like a giant nail and is a so and so to remove from the wood once it does split.  The fiskars wedge is great for really knotty stuff but is a bit of a last resort as it is slow.  The sledge I use on the maul and with the wedge, it is a bit OTT but it works :) 

Looking forward to trying out the x27 this season.

Rarely use a maul after buying X27 a couple of years ago.

In fact I find it so efficient I bought a X17 that gets far more use.

Green Oak rounds at the minute... no trouble all day with X17 until they get knotty...bring out the X27 Bingo!

:-)

• Like 1