What's everyone's favourite chopping axe?

mac2

The "monster" 8lbs USA type one is here for £87 free postge to UK i think (added to basket & it didn't add postage etc.)

IsoCore Builder's Axe XXL 8 lb/36"

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B078WFJDGR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3OSF850LCY46B&psc=1

Video review:

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

Like Rob the sparky I started with the same kit.  Found the maul dire, would stick firm a lot, so I soon upgraded to an x27.  Gave the maul to my brother as a spare and he seems to get on better with it.

Also agree that wood grenades are dire in the wood I get and have had the same, nail the round to the block experience several times.  Roughneck do twist wedges for about £6 or £8, my last resort is 3 of those but I'll grab the 365 X torq and noodle unless I know there is buried debris.

Like Bob z I, I'm stunned how well the x17 does.  I've learnt to use a very low block and crouch though ... First time I used it, set the small round on a tall block, a knot caused the axe to split out the side and deflected it past the block.....a&e and 3 stitches in the shin resulted.... Short axes are more dangerous.

I'm tempted by a double bit but there aren't many available in the UK.  Not paying £235 for the gransfors, not for something that is just a 'cool looking axe'.  Don't see many on eBay UK either....I guess they are mainly a US axe design.

• Like 1

On 17/12/2018 at 12:11, Stere said:

The "monster" 8lbs USA type one is here for £87 free postge to UK i think (added to basket & it didn't add postage etc.)

IsoCore Builder's Axe XXL 8 lb/36"

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B078WFJDGR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3OSF850LCY46B&psc=1

Video review:

I do not think I would like to be wielding that bloody great thing all day long.  The X27 is the best compromise of light weight and effectiveness.

• Like 2