Chainsaw mill

tim perkins

23 minutes ago, tim perkins said:

Was thinking about buying alaskan mill (granberg)has anyone tried out any of the cheaper copies seen online (ecomill) and if so are they any good ?

I have two. A 36" and a 48". I use them a fair bit and have done many a slab with them both.

You get what you pay for and they work well, but being that much cheaper Ive noticed both of them wearing out quite fast now. At least on the fasteners where the Chainsaw Bar is pinched and the Up right Bars as they are tightened and slackened often. The Up right bars are easily replaceable but the Chainsaw Bar Pinches are going to be a pain to change out. Ie, grinding and re-welding the Nut to the Bottom.

Having now seen a real Granberg and how much better they are build, and how much Ive been using them and have not grown tired of Slabbing Id have bought a genuine Granberg initially.

So if you're gonna be a light user get the cheap set, try it out and see. Ive had 2 years out of it and its still accurate, I just need to give it some lovin'!

Im running the 25",36" and 48" Chinese mills from Royston resources.

I've used granberg and apart from price they're nearly identical.

Also spare parts are soooo much cheaper.[mention=24594]RobD[/mention] on here sells various types from panther and granberg to Chinese.

My first mills were threaded bar and plywood.

Worked fine just slow to alter depth of cut.

They all work.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

1 minute ago, Rough Hewn said:

Im running the 25",36" and 48" Chinese mills from Royston resources.
I've used granberg and apart from price they're nearly identical.
Also spare parts are soooo much cheaper.@RobD on here sells various types from panther and granberg to Chinese.
My first mills were threaded bar and plywood.
Worked fine just slow to alter depth of cut.
They all work.
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png
They all work

I dont agree on them being nearly identical. They look the same and work the same but the build quality on a real Alaskan is vastly superior. For long term Milling the Granbergs the way to go, in my opinion at least. I still have the Chinese ones. 

I dont agree on them being nearly identical. They look the same and work the same but the build quality on a real Alaskan is vastly superior. For long term Milling the Granbergs the way to go, in my opinion at least. I still have the Chinese ones. 

I agree, but I can buy 5 Chinese ones for the price of one Alaskan.
[emoji106]

2 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

I agree, but I can buy 5 Chinese ones for the price of one Alaskan.
emoji106.png

I guess you could say the same about a Fiat and a Bentley. Id rather buy one Bentley than have to keep buying cruddy Fiats. 

But I agree, if you're starting out get a Chinese version, they are almost free in comparison. But its not apples for apples. 

I guess you could say the same about a Fiat and a Bentley. Id rather buy one Bentley than have to keep buying cruddy Fiats. 

But I agree, if you're starting out get a Chinese version, they are almost free in comparison. But its not apples for apples. 

Are you suggesting we have a
"mill off"?
[emoji12][emoji106]
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, timbernut said:

I have one, I bought it with the intention of upgrading to the ‘real thing’ if I got on alright with it. I did, so am gonna be selling mine soon, if you’re interested, where abouts you based

if it is the Tim Perkins I think it is John, he's in Halesworth if it is.....I don't know, all these locals buying there own mills....no wonder I will never be   rich....

• Like 1