H&S head scratcher

Thesnarlingbadger

this one does start a quandry....cs40 &cs41, delimb and top the tree, leaving what is effect a pole, a monolith, which is then arguabley not a tree, it has no branches, it has no leaves, its a big stick stuck in the ground.........what assesment to cut a big stick, makes you start to think .......I have had this out with jobsworth H&S idiots before whilst milling.......there is no requirement for any qualification to mill timber with a chainsaw, and once the first cut has been made, it is classed as dimensional timber, where, again, no requirement for any qualification to use a chainsaw, read the guidlines carefully if you dont believe me......the "H&S" experts were adament that I did require paper qualifications, till they were told leave the sight as they were incorectly dressed and any delays would be billed direct to there department from a very high up company person.....problem solved.    in some ways  I am for continued training and development, its the only way to get better, but when as now, Im coming across "instructors" who have breathed air for less time than I've thrown saws about, and much as I hate to say it, I've forgotten more than they are trying to teach, and as for the quantity of "tickets" required......its now all about the money for the training establishments ,  the latest ones........assesing a windblow site, no sawing, no clearing, just looking at a site...., someone with a ticket still has to come out and do the job.......the mind boggles at the, i was going t say idiots dreaming these up, but that would insult some of the idiots i know.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, agrimog said:

this one does start a quandry....cs40 &cs41, delimb and top the tree, leaving what is effect a pole, a monolith, which is then arguabley not a tree, it has no branches, it has no leaves, its a big stick stuck in the ground.........what assesment to cut a big stick, makes you start to think .......I have had this out with jobsworth H&S idiots before whilst milling.......there is no requirement for any qualification to mill timber with a chainsaw, and once the first cut has been made, it is classed as dimensional timber, where, again, no requirement for any qualification to use a chainsaw, read the guidlines carefully if you dont believe me......the "H&S" experts were adament that I did require paper qualifications, till they were told leave the sight as they were incorectly dressed and any delays would be billed direct to there department from a very high up company person.....problem solved.    in some ways  I am for continued training and development, its the only way to get better, but when as now, Im coming across "instructors" who have breathed air for less time than I've thrown saws about, and much as I hate to say it, I've forgotten more than they are trying to teach, and as for the quantity of "tickets" required......its now all about the money for the training establishments ,  the latest ones........assesing a windblow site, no sawing, no clearing, just looking at a site...., someone with a ticket still has to come out and do the job.......the mind boggles at the, i was going t say idiots dreaming these up, but that would insult some of the idiots i know.....

Its a shame that we have adopted the American suing culture, that's the main reason for these courses in the first place. It's not so bad for future generations getting into the industry but for guys who have been doing it for years even decades it's a headache. It's the way the world has gone and it's not going to change, we just have to adapt unfortunately.

Here, somthing to think about , you got up to cs39 chainsaw in a tree, and then you get a MEWP ticket, would a  elf&safety person let you up there and use a saw,, as technically you don’t have the ticket cs47

So what I’m saying/asking  does a cs39 qualification exceed saw in a MEWP ticket. 

Edit it I found the answer

cheers

Edited by Wonky
Addition of thread