H&S head scratcher

Thesnarlingbadger

I have a bit of an issue with one of my jobs I am planning to do at the moment with regards the health and safety.

The Job is for a school and I have had to send over copies of all mine and the lads tickets to prove I am competent. All very well and not a problem. However I have been to quote for a job and one of the trees is to dismantle and cut right down to ground level. Now the health and safety at the school seem to think that because I don't have CS32 I can not climb and take down trees with a diameter larger than 380mm due to the fact CS31 states that you are capable of felling trees with a diameter no greater than 380mm.

All very frustrating and I have spoken to the H&S lady over the phone and she seems like she is trying to find some information to prove that what I am saying (that I can climb trees of any size with a chainsaw) is correct but she has not had a response from the AA or can't get hold of anyone else to set her straight.

I am just looking for something I can hand over to them to show them that I am competent. The job is suppose to go ahead before the kids get back to school to minimise disruption, so I'm on a bit of a timescale with it.

If anyone can point me in the way of some official wording that proves CS32 is to fell a tree and ground level and CS39 enables you to climb a tree with a saw regardless of trunk diameter I would greatly appreciate that.

And Just out of curiosity how many arborist companies out there actually have people with CS32, as I don't know many, other than much larger or forestry firms maybe. Rarely do I come across jobs where I fell a larger tree as most my work is in built up areas and there is no way you could fell this tree as it is leaning towards a building.

Thanks in advance people.

As a non-arborist even I understand the logic of what you are saying.

(i) You are qualified to climb and cut/reduce trees of any size/girth, so the size of the tree does not matter since you reduce it piecemeal. A large tree simply takes longer.

(ii) You are only qualified to FELL trees, in their entirity, of not more than 380mm. But this is not applicable, since you wont be felling this tree.

Typical fail-safe attitude because they do not understand.

Cant offer any other help, other than my understanding of your frustration.

mth

Edited by difflock
  • Like 2

If you had an accident dismantling a tree over 380mm, what qualifications would your insurance company & the HSE expect you to have? 

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but that is how I would look at it. Most companies around this end have staff qualified for trees over 380mm

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thesnarlingbadger said:

I have a bit of an issue with one of my jobs I am planning to do at the moment with regards the health and safety.

The Job is for a school and I have had to send over copies of all mine and the lads tickets to prove I am competent. All very well and not a problem. However I have been to quote for a job and one of the trees is to dismantle and cut right down to ground level. Now the health and safety at the school seem to think that because I don't have CS32 I can not climb and take down trees with a diameter larger than 380mm due to the fact CS31 states that you are capable of felling trees with a diameter no greater than 380mm.

All very frustrating and I have spoken to the H&S lady over the phone and she seems like she is trying to find some information to prove that what I am saying (that I can climb trees of any size with a chainsaw) is correct but she has not had a response from the AA or can't get hold of anyone else to set her straight.

I am just looking for something I can hand over to them to show them that I am competent. The job is suppose to go ahead before the kids get back to school to minimise disruption, so I'm on a bit of a timescale with it.

If anyone can point me in the way of some official wording that proves CS32 is to fell a tree and ground level and CS39 enables you to climb a tree with a saw regardless of trunk diameter I would greatly appreciate that.

And Just out of curiosity how many arborist companies out there actually have people with CS32, as I don't know many, other than much larger or forestry firms maybe. Rarely do I come across jobs where I fell a larger tree as most my work is in built up areas and there is no way you could fell this tree as it is leaning towards a building.

i can see there point and i think you may find what they say is correct you are not qualified to fell stem if larger than 380mm, its ok in domestic arb but now may be stumbling point, i only know 2 climbers with cs32, one works with me now and then and the other has just done his after a very hefty claim on his PL ins and he was shitting his self that ins would not pay out, how ever his leagle team got it sorted but at a cost, his insurance said they where going to look in to this issue of not being qualified to do a certain task and they are to start to ask for copies of certificates when taking PL ins out . your easy way out is take some one with you or employ em for a couple of hrs to take stem down who has CS32 problem solved.

Hello Badger,
Whereabouts are you?
I have cs32 and DBS.
[emoji106]

Hi guys thanks for the input. Ralph I am based in Bristol so maybe a little far for you. But if you're keen inbox me your details day rate, and if you're available on the 3rd and 4th of Jan. 

I will be happy to get a CS32 but I wouldn't be able to do it before the job is planned.

The frustrating part is this is a very basic job and the kind of thing I do day in day out and I wouldn't be felling the tree at any point. It will have to be chogged down and I don't want the weight of the stem to damage anything.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

i can see there point and i think you may find what they say is correct you are not qualified to fell stem if larger than 380mm, its ok in domestic arb but now may be stumbling point, i only know 2 climbers with cs32, one works with me now and then and the other has just done his after a very hefty claim on his PL ins and he was shitting his self that ins would not pay out, how ever his leagle team got it sorted but at a cost, his insurance said they where going to look in to this issue of not being qualified to do a certain task and they are to start to ask for copies of certificates when taking PL ins out . your easy way out is take some one with you or employ em for a couple of hrs to take stem down who has CS32 problem solved.

I see what you are saying and to be honest if I could get someone with a CS32 for a couple of hours then great but its finding someone who will be willing to do that who lives close enough.

I will look in to this idea but I would not even be felling the stem.