Petzl Zillon

snltree

Yeah its a small zigzag on a lanyard.

I dont really like it as a lanyard as its easy to bend and stress the links.

It has a good bit of sit back,like a hitch and you cant snug it up to a branch or stem like an art positioner.

Also the bridge on the harness can press on the zillion links makin it slip,happend to me a few times.

It has its positives too,very smooth to use,can be used in single line applications, for example- chokerd round a stem or to get better work position out on a long limb.

I find its best if you get a thinner rope to put through it,just smoother with 11.5 rope.

Hope that helps

If asked,i wouldnt get another

Positioner is way better

Edited by stihlmadasever

Anyone had the Petzl Zillon?
As far as I’m aware it’s basically the zig zag but for a side positioning rope
Possibly going to get one to try out so if there’s anyone with experience on one please let me hear your opinions?
Cheers

I’ve had one for a few years now on a longish lanyard. Doubles as a second mainline when needed. Absolutely love it. I wouldn’t be without it.

I’ve got both. Have the 5m zillion as my lanyard and the art positioned on my steel core flip line. I prefer the zillions action, for me it’s a lot smoother to use. Only thing I’ve done is added a swivel to the zillion just so it doesn’t get to twisted on my harness. 

On 12/12/2018 at 13:02, stihlmadasever said:

It has a good bit of sit back,like a hitch and you cant snug it up to a branch or stem like an art positioner.

Also the bridge on the harness can press on the zillion links makin it slip,happend to me a few times.

It has its positives too,very smooth to use,can be used in single line applications, for example- chokerd round a stem or to get better work position out on a long limb.

I find its best if you get a thinner rope to put through it,just smoother with 11.5 rope.

Hope that helps

Positioner is way better

How is it you can use it on single line applications whereas you can't use a Zigzag on a single line? 

The instructions with the zillon show single line application.

Zigzag can be used single line,ive done it but petzl dont recommend it for whatever reason-probably financial!

1 hour ago, Treerover said:

How is it you can use it on single line applications whereas you can't use a Zigzag on a single line? 

• Confused 1

Hope that helps
Positioner is way better

The Petzl technical Rep guy told me that the zillion ‘must’ be used only with the Petzl rope supplied with it and it’s CE mark only applies when it is used with that particular rope.

So from an insurance claim or Loler point of view it could potentially cause issues.

Just thought I’d throw that bit of pedantic-ness in there to brighten your evening....
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, TIMON said:

The Petzl technical Rep guy told me that the zillion ‘must’ be used only with the Petzl rope supplied with it and it’s CE mark only applies when it is used with that particular rope.

So from an insurance claim or Loler point of view it could potentially cause issues.

Just thought I’d throw that bit of pedantic-ness in there to brighten your evening....

Yeah i strip it down for loler so each part is looked at individually as fit for purpose.

What petzl say means nothing to me.

• Like 2

Yeah i strip it down for loler so each part is looked at individually as fit for purpose.
What petzl say means nothing to me.

Same if I’m looking at the different pieces.
There’s nothing in the ‘rules’ that says you have to fail the zillon itself if it doesn’t have a rope.

I asked the Rep , why could it only be used on their rope? Funny enough, e couldn’t answer me.

They don’t , and couldn’t insist on the same thing with the ZigZag.
  • Like 1