Tree Topping

RC0

On 08/02/2019 at 13:55, Mark2 said:

Reg that’s an absalutly stunning vid ! That needs a wider audience. It would go viral. 

I’v been a climber all my working life. And all ways had a kind of top ten climbers who were my hero’s. Your there at number one having seen ya skills.

I’d love to compare views one day ? We’re a breed apart.

Thanks Mark, thats a nice thing to say at the end. Still get the odd heart stopping moment to keep me on my toes. Maybe in another 10 years Ill be in a position to wind it down a bit.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RC0 said:

Thanks Mark, thats a nice thing to say at the end. Still get the odd heart stopping moment to keep me on my toes. Maybe in another 10 years Ill be in a position to wind it down a bit.

I wonder if I could of done those 200 foot trees, i’ll never know ! Was it much of a shock ? I certainly had an apitite for 140 ! We kind of peak at some stage. As long as you enjoy it, and enjoy haveing the skill to do it ! 

I gave up the big ones at 64.

but am wondering if it’s just a dinner- break !

28 minutes ago, Mark2 said:

I wonder if I could of done those 200 foot trees, i’ll never know ! Was it much of a shock ? I certainly had an apitite for 140 ! We kind of peak at some stage. As long as you enjoy it, and enjoy haveing the skill to do it ! 

I gave up the big ones at 64.

but am wondering if it’s just a dinner- break !

Theres a big difference between an Old growth fir, and second growth. The old ones are night and day hard work to get up and past that bottom 1/3 or 1/2. Needs technique, strength and endurance on the spurs and flipline. When you're up near 200 and above, they certainly move alot differently when you top them. But If you have the desire and strength to get up and do the work, then you will. I think if you were given the opportunity to get up there, and you said no, then it might be harder to live with that decision than actually pushing yourself to get up the tree and get the job done. Professional pride and ego I suppose. Obviously theres mistakes you could possibly make up there that might be your last, if you didnt read the situation correctly, like when taking a huge top etc. You hope you haven't overlooked anything.  But, aside from that, my point is Ive never been stood at the bottom or at the top on the crest of a dodgy, giant tree thinking 'this is great, yippee'. More like "youve gotta get fakin through this mate, keep it together". I might be in that predicament again late this week incidentally, so Im already starting to run technique and scenarios through my mind. We're still in storm season here too, some nasty gusts. Some things you can't control and forever hope not to come unstuck or be pressured into a mistake due to the expectations of others. Some jobs costs cost thousands of dollars to get a park shut down, road closure and everyone there on a given day....but then a storm rolls in and all eyes are on the climber, or subcontractor in my case. Then what? A 200 + ft tree might be swaying 30 ft back and forth at the top. Its a tough spot to find yourself in. 

• Like 7

Thanks for that Reg that’s exactly the kind of detailed reply I was really really hopeing for. Brings it all back to me ! I’m with you on every word.

I’m interested in the psychology of what we do as you say it’s all about that. plus workout the odds of it all to ensure we win. I had similar pressures ! For a good few years, I had a ten man team we generated a lot of work, but i’d do the tricky’st. We just dig deep ! There’s a lot of sereous stuff I’d love to compare on. But it’s late now.

tomorows another day. Thanks.

21 hours ago, Mark2 said:

Thanks for that Reg that’s exactly the kind of detailed reply I was really really hopeing for. Brings it all back to me ! I’m with you on every word.

I’m interested in the psychology of what we do as you say it’s all about that. plus workout the odds of it all to ensure we win. I had similar pressures ! For a good few years, I had a ten man team we generated a lot of work, but i’d do the tricky’st. We just dig deep ! There’s a lot of sereous stuff I’d love to compare on. But it’s late now.

tomorows another day. Thanks.

Aside from getting paid, I think lots of treeworkers embrace and push themselves through rough and precarious situations just to get to the otherside....whether climbing, falling or loading up the truck with huge logs. It not only makes you a stronger and more confident person but also has a calming, humbling effect too. So why wouldn't you ? I guess people climb mountains or go wilderness trekking with a similar mindset. Theres some feelings and experiences that you cant buy or sell, but you do have to make them happen, they rarely just land on your doorstep. 

• Like 3

All of that, the overall satisfaction makes it all worthwhile. I only wish I could do it all again !

As I got past my best it was a concern, as to what lay ahead.

you need not worry! We look after nature, nature looks after us. Being full time,by Friday the fatigue would kick in (you’l know that one) and my general agility reduced.

but you know sometimes i’d climbe tree next to tree with people half my age they loved it, I loved it ! The banter was great, they learned from me. And I found that my skill more than compensated for lack of agility! We’d debate who was best! I told them If your still alive when ya my age ! then you’l be as good.

Would you ever take up teaching ? To say your gifted is an under statement!

what we do is sereous shit your a sereous bloke.

Edited by Mark2

47 minutes ago, Mark2 said:

All of that, the overall satisfaction makes it all worthwhile. I only wish I could do it all again !

As I got past my best it was a concern, as to what lay ahead.

you need not worry! We look after nature, nature looks after us. Being full time,by Friday the fatigue would kick in (you’l know that one) and my general agility reduced.

but you know sometimes i’d climbe tree next to tree with people half my age they loved it, I loved it ! The banter was great, they learned from me. And I found that my skill more than compensated for lack of agility! We’d debate who was best! I told them If your still alive when ya my age ! then you’l be as good.

Would you ever take up teaching ? To say your gifted is an under statement!

what we do is sereous shit your a sereous bloke.

I can certainly answer questions, help and give directions on a worksite etc....but teaching, I doubt Id be into that. Dont know how things are in the UK right now, but here at least, many of the young lads looking for a career in this line of work or similar are just neither hard nor busy enough cut the mustard. Its like, they're not hungry or something. There seems to exist a very small and rigid comfort zone that they wont step out of, physically and mentally. I dont know when this happened or whos to blame, but I do believe my own eyes and ears. Dont want to sound like a cliche with rose tinted glasses and all that, but I just cant be around lazy, weak minded people. I couldn't imagine trying to teach even one such individual, never mind whole groups of them. Im sure theres some good lads still out there, farming and military stock come to mind....but those sorts seem to find their way pretty well without a teacher anyway. No, I think I'll just keep my head down, under the radar.... then as and when the day comes that Im struggling, Ill call it quits, and do something else

Edited by RC0
  • Like 3