Tree Topping

RC0

On 06/01/2019 at 12:39, drinksloe said:

Out of courosity why are u topping them and wots the timber used for??

Was surprised just how close to the road u were dropping some big tops down.

Also this may seem a stupid question but near end of the video u were buggering about with a orange climbing line and small pulley wot was that for?

Only thing can think of for pulling the bigger saw/petrol up the tree? As u looked like u were just on ur spikes otherwise

Also why/wot is the notch u cut in the tree top i heard u commenting on the radio?

Wild guess so heli logger can grab it?? But looks close to the road for heli logging

Apologies for stupid questions but never seen 1 of ur vids before

Cheers

The site is a provincial park, mid Vancouver Island, consisting mainly cedar, hemlock and fir.

The trees were being cut down because they had root rot. They are are left as standing wildlife poles at 20 and 40 meters. 

I was using the overhead pulley and tail of my climbline to pull up a bigger saw, 372 with 30 inch bar. I was at approximately 150ft at that point, so quite a ways to pull the saw up. Easier to pull down on a line than pull up over such a distance.

The notch in the top of the stump was to speed up the decay process and so i could run my line through it and rappel down to the ground.

On 06/01/2019 at 07:05, Stephen Blair said:

My hips are aching just watching that Reg!  3 of those in a day is good going!

Hello mate. I got a couple Hemlocks done too, but lost lots of time waiting on traffic management and the blasting....maybe hour and a half. A frustrating day because off. But could have been worse, blowing a gale or chucking it down with rain.

• Like 1