Shortage Occupation List 2018 - Government Survey

Stephen Arb Association

Government Survey on Shortage Occupation List - Arboriculture asked to contribute

Shortage Occupation List 2018: Call for Evidence

The Migration Advisory Committee have published their intention to review the Shortage Occupation List and the Arborist Working Group (AWG) are seeking to submit a consolidated response on behalf of the Arboricultural Association.

In conjunction with the 2019 Parliamentary Review, which the AWG also has an involvement in, this is a good opportunity for the industry to make itself heard and encourage greater Government support in the development and promotion of careers in Arboriculture. The survey will take 10-12 minutes.

Take the Survey

Survey Closes 3rd January 2019

In June 2018, the government commissioned the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) to carry out a full review of the composition of the shortage occupation list (SOL), to report in spring 2019. The MAC was asked to start the review of the SOL in the autumn.

In order to asses which occupations and job titles should be added to the Shortage Occupation List (SOL) the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) uses both national data and evidence submitted by stakeholders. The MAC considers both sets of evidence in combination.

The MAC is adopting a new approach to its call for evidence and engagement with stakeholders. The MAC will focus on specific job titles rather than broader occupations and requires evidence that supports this approach. The evidence produced by stakeholders is very important in helping to assess which job titles are in shortage. The MAC ask that all respondents to this call for evidence complete an online form that will comprise their evidence to this review of the SOL.

Take the Survey

3 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Hope people take part in this as i'd be interested to see the results, although its no secret theres a skills shortage in this field.

I would refer you to a thread in this very forum of yours Steve   entitled Skills .  We can do all kinds of stuff . Mark B is a jack of everything ! ?

• Haha 1

Hi Steve - We'll certainly release the results, most like in the ARB Mag but I'll also post it to the AA website and send you the link when it's available. Good that they are involving Arb in the parliamentary review as well, seems like we're finally starting to get their attention but we'll have to keep prodding.

On a side note, getting arboriculture listed on the SIC codes list might be a good start - http://resources.companieshouse.gov.uk/sic/

Surely if '01440 - Raising of camels and camelids' warrants its own code then so do we!? Apologies to any camel breeders out there...

Shortage of skills? i dont know about that. i think its more like a shortage of people willing to work and learn in the younger generations,and we all know its not easy in either side of the tree game weather it be arb or forestry, forestry for me but work with a couple of arb crews and earlier this week was carrying some beech out of a back garden up 11 steps and then a slopeing path to the truck, i was F = = = =  D when i got home about 6,30 and my calfes are still aching today, but up at 3,30 morning after drove 140 mile to whitby 8 hrs on a boat and then 140 mile drive back but in bed for about 9pm and didnt even count to one before i was asleep, morning after in buiding for 9am loading logs delivering all day and in building till 8pm geting crates of logs sorted for day after, how many of the younger generation would do all that, not many i think,