Sis-WHeel on Horse CHestnut?

wyk

I don't suppose anyone's tried a sis-wheel on a horse chestnut? I know the fibers aren't very strong, but I do not have any on the estate available to try them on for practice that are close to the 20" or so this one is. I am afraid even if I leave plenty of hinge on one side that it will give too early. I'll be cutting it about 10' up the stem as it's leaning on a stone wall.

3 hours ago, Wonky said:

Pics are worth 100's of Q's. The siz wheel ant gonna work on crispy hc.

i would say the same,winch with 2 points of anchor 

I wish I had that option. The other side of the wall drops drastically down a hill that is slippery with no substantial trees to anchor to, the other side is a road with a phone line across from it I am trying to avoid if I can. The tree is tall for a chestnut as it's grown next to some tall thin cedars, which would be a terrible anchor point for a pully. Big enough I don't dare anchor it to a vehicle in case the hinge breaks and it goes wherever it wants, especially since the root ball is unstable and it's resting on a wall - it could easily lever itself over. I think it's better to chance the phone line since they are very flexible compared to power lines and trees fall across the phone lines along this road often enough from storms. That way I mainly just endanger myself and someones internet, vs the tractor or a climber. I wouldn't put a climber in this tree unless they were suicidal and said terrible things about my mother. We've been waiting for the tree to 'fix itself' as it looked like it might lose it's roots and just slide down the wall side or the hill, but it's leaned so far in to the road after the last few storms that we're worried it will lever over and on to it if the roots give, maybe hurting someone. It's forced our hand.

In that vid you showed, it looks like the pine fell 90* from it's lean. But pine has very long fibres compared to chestnut(and a whole lot of other trees).  I was hoping maybe someone tried it and could tell me how they go. I was thinking of using a few dutchmen cuts on one end and leaving more holding wood on the one side, waiting til it started to slowly swing about and then chasing it a bit. I only need about 45* from the lean to miss the lines. But the wood is so soft I might not need any dutchmen. I don't cut a lot of live chestnuts since they are worthless wood for what we use wood for on the estate. I only go after them if they are in the way, or threatening safety like this one is. So I've not tried to get creative on one.

I was watching a vid a bud of mine stateside made a couple years back. It's done with red alder, which is a little like horsechestnut(but still more fibrous) as it grows near water. I have cut a LOT of alder in my time in Oregon, so it made me think maybe it could work on chestnut...

Edited by wyk