Large tree felling and Windblown trees course

Roby

windblow is not a subject to be taken lightly.........its 90% thinking and 10% cutting,  you need to understand compression, tension, twist and roll, and if its multiple windblow multiply by a factor of OMG, it always makes me cringe when I see courses being offered going sraight from starting up through medium trees, windblow, multiple windlowand so on  done in a fortnight, how the hell are you supossed to learn how timber reacts to different forces, how fast, or slow to cut, how placement of cut by a few inches, or degrees difference can make major changes to reaction forces, or how a winch, or snub line can be your best friend, or worst nightmare, how multiple heavy limbed hardwoods react, and how conifourous poles behave.........it comes with experience and actuall time on tools.........I have said for many years, a return to a system like the old blue book is reqd.......you cant sit an assesment for the next level up till you have an appropriate amount of hands on time, actually signed off by an older experienced mentor..........yes it would stop a lot of people coming into the industry, but it would weed out  the good and competent, and more imprtantly, it would reduce a lot of the stupid accidents that seem to occur these days..........just my thoughts and I am certain there must be others out there with similar thoughts

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, agrimog said:

windblow is not a subject to be taken lightly.........its 90% thinking and 10% cutting,  you need to understand compression, tension, twist and roll, and if its multiple windblow multiply by a factor of OMG, it always makes me cringe when I see courses being offered going sraight from starting up through medium trees, windblow, multiple windlowand so on  done in a fortnight, how the hell are you supossed to learn how timber reacts to different forces, how fast, or slow to cut, how placement of cut by a few inches, or degrees difference can make major changes to reaction forces, or how a winch, or snub line can be your best friend, or worst nightmare, how multiple heavy limbed hardwoods react, and how conifourous poles behave.........it comes with experience and actuall time on tools.........I have said for many years, a return to a system like the old blue book is reqd.......you cant sit an assesment for the next level up till you have an appropriate amount of hands on time, actually signed off by an older experienced mentor..........yes it would stop a lot of people coming into the industry, but it would weed out  the good and competent, and more imprtantly, it would reduce a lot of the stupid accidents that seem to occur these days..........just my thoughts and I am certain there must be others out there with similar thoughts

My thoughts exactly, and there is a saying in life that comes to mind and thats, you need to learn to walk before you can run !!!!!!!!!!. It can not be lernt from a book,,

Okay, guys, it is nice you are worrying for others but the main topic is how to decrease the expenses of the training and assessment. Please, if you can give some advice, contacts in the subject.

Who ever started up a chainsaw and working with it probably have their fears and understand that all individual need underpinning knowledge before chopping can begin.
Be safe everyone!

9 minutes ago, Roby said:

Okay, guys, it is nice you are worrying for others but the main topic is how to decrease the expenses of the training and assessment. Please, if you can give some advice, contacts in the subject.

Who ever started up a chainsaw and working with it probably have their fears and understand that all individual need underpinning knowledge before chopping can begin.
Be safe everyone!

go and do your cs32 first, then give it 6 months or so and then approach the cs34/35 but dont scimp on the training for windblown as you will learn a lot from a compitent trainer/cutter in windblown, if you find a trainer thats worth his salt it will benifit you and you wont do both for under £600, if you was nearer i could of done some with you and sorted a acessment out for you but where to far apart, good look and do your home work befor you start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

go and do your cs32 first, then give it 6 months or so and then approach the cs34/35 but dont scimp on the training for windblown as you will learn a lot from a compitent trainer/cutter in windblown, if you find a trainer thats worth his salt it will benifit you and you wont do both for under £600, if you was nearer i could of done some with you and sorted a acessment out for you but where to far apart, good look and do your home work befor you start.

I agree with this. Windblow is not to be taken lightly, and motor manual multiple windblow processing is by far the most dangerous job in forestry. The Commission hate sending cutters in to do is and much prefer machines for reasons of safety

• Like 1

I agree with Agrimog and others. This work is a bottomless pit of things to be learnt and for a lot of it a significant contribution to learning is to work alongside more knowledgeable and skilled people. Mentoring and supervision is something that needs to be developed for many situations. For new to the industry workers I would recommend making sure you get to work with skilled people who are happy to support you and learn from them.