Portable winch recomendations

Docma Vf80 looks interesting, hadnt heard of before. Have used the PCW extensively, its a very capable machine. Dont think the 4stroke is an issue as the machine will always right itself when pulling, we certainly used ours in some rough terrain. I would think capstan style is more useable, as not restricted by cable length?

Just wondering will a capstan winch pull almost any sort of rope??

Now i know if u were just using some 13mm poly prop there would be a degree of strech which is not ideal, but say u were pulling smaller brash/limbs up a steep banking u could buy a load of polyprop and tie a few lines on so when u got to the top u could have a few lines ready just to be winched up (thinking or more solo operations)

21 hours ago, drinksloe said:

Just wondering will a capstan winch pull almost any sort of rope??

Now i know if u were just using some 13mm poly prop there would be a degree of strech which is not ideal, but say u were pulling smaller brash/limbs up a steep banking u could buy a load of polyprop and tie a few lines on so when u got to the top u could have a few lines ready just to be winched up (thinking or more solo operations)

Poly rope is ok on a capstan if you give it an extra couple of wraps,  if you don't it will slip and start to melt. We use it on long pulls through mud and crap where you wouldn't want to use a decent rope.

Bob                        

I may have come to a good compromise. I've just bought a harken 35 2 speed self tailing winch and I intend to use it with a drill adapter in this configuration. Should serve it's purpose at a fraction of the cost of a petrol capstan winch Screenshot_20181214-202009_Instagram.jpeg

2 hours ago, Coletti said:

I may have come to a good compromise. I've just bought a harken 35 2 speed self tailing winch and I intend to use it with a drill adapter in this configuration. Should serve it's purpose at a fraction of the cost of a petrol capstan winch Screenshot_20181214-202009_Instagram.jpeg

I'm a bit confused, thats not much different than the winch I showed that you said you already had..

I mean I realize you can use a drill to speed things up but by how much?..  then, I presume you have to keep one hand on the rope to tend and one on the drill.. I think you'll last ten minutes before you get sick of that to be honest..

If your asking me I'd bite the bullet and get a petrol powered two stroke winch..   that way you've two options when it comes to winching, the small lightweight one for when you need such a thing and the petrol one for when you might be there all day hauling stuff up banks and such...

Now havin said that, that winch looks pretty handy in its own right..  you could say its a poor mans GRCS.. put a bit of weld on there and make it so you can stick it on a tree..  

how much are they?...

Edited by Vespasian

I'm a bit confused, thats not much different than the winch I showed that you said you already had..

I mean I realize you can use a drill to speed things up but by how much?..  then, I presume you have to keep one hand one the rope to tend and one on the drill.. I think you'll last ten minutes before you get sick of that to be honest..

If your asking me I'd bite the bullet and get a petrol powered two stroke winch..   that way you've two options when it comes to winching, the small lightweight one for when you need such a thing and the petrol one for when you might be there all day hauling stuff up banks and such...

Now havin said that, that winch looks pretty handy in its own right..  you could say its a poor mans GRCS.. put a bit of weld on there and make it so you can stick it on a tree..  

how much are they?...
The harken winch is what's on the GRCS although the one I have bought is the harken 35 whereas I believe the GRCS has the 40 so it's a little smaller and it's self tailing so no need to tend with one hand, just wind away with the drill.

It will be much faster winding in with the drill and even faster still letting the line out again as you just unwind the wraps rather than fiddling with the ratchet to let the line out again.

I'll have to make a cradle but that's easy enough and hopefully, for the jobs I have lined up, it should suit as a viable replacement for a petrol capstan winch, a little slower yes but a he'll of a lot cheaper. The harken 35 I've got was second hand but barely used and cost me £183. Few quid for some steel to make a cradle plus a drill adapter and it'll come in at less than 250

1 minute ago, Coletti said:

The harken winch is what's on the GRCS although the one I have bought is the harken 35 whereas I believe the GRCS has the 40 so it's a little smaller and it's self tailing so no need to tend with one hand, just wind away with the drill.

It will be much faster winding in with the drill and even faster still letting the line out again as you just unwind the wraps rather than fiddling with the ratchet to let the line out again.

I'll have to make a cradle but that's easy enough and hopefully, for the jobs I have lined up, it should suit as a viable replacement for a petrol capstan winch, a little slower yes but a he'll of a lot cheaper. The harken 35 I've got was second hand but barely used and cost me £183. Few quid for some steel to make a cradle plus a drill adapter and it'll come in at less than 250

Yea forgot about that bit about unwinding the endless rope puller I bought.. pain in the arse..

anyway, I think I'll get one myself.   make it into my own version of the GRCS....  if I'd known such a thing existed I'd of got one instead of the endless rope winch...  well maybe not, I use that for pulling stuff on my trailer...