Time off at Xmas -- How much are you taking

forestboy1978

I find that when the cabin fever starts kicking it is is time to get outside again. I can reverse the fever by going out in the yard (which I am lucky enough to have at home) and doing some logging or machinery maintenance. Short half day outside and then I can cope for a bit longer on the festive season.

When we do start up again for reaI I have never know any of my workers say anything but "it's good to be back at work".

I think this is just another indicator that many people working in the arb sector enjoy their work to the extent that they accept/tolerate the relatively low wages it pays. We all know that arb work is not generally reimbursed either for employees or business owners at the rate it should be, considering the skill and dangers involved, the sheer hard work, and for businesses the investment in kit. End of rant on behalf of all of us!

• Like 3

finishing 4pm on 24th pub for 5pm till 10pm, dinner with family on 25th and then at my sisters in the eve from about 6pm till proberbly 3 or 4am party on Wayne,, late start boxing day and more than likely feeling shit due to timothy tailor and moorhouses poisioning back to work 27th 28th picking up on a shoot 29th then work 30th 31st not that bothered about going out new years eve but will proberbly end up going any way, and end up shed,ed and walking home in the wee hours, 1st jan i wont be that fast if i go out and will be sat there all day feeling sorry for my self and thinking, how did i get home last night, back on 2nd and back to normal and the days will be going the right way by getting longer, if its raining over the holidays i may have a extra day or 2 and watch mary poppins or gonr with the wind or some other shite,,,,

• Like 1

I will work all the time I can arrange it for over the christmas period! Which might be every day between boxing day and new years day, or none of them! Either way is fine by me! 

I have one offroad play day booked in between Christmas and new year, if I can get two in like last year- well that will be worth two days off!

I do sometimes wish I had a job where I could apply to work overtime over Christmas day etc for a massive amount of overtime!

Off from actual tree work 24th to January 2 unless there’s emergency work. Lots of maintenance to do plus bits of farming etc. nice short days with no travel or hassle.

I have often regretted working through Christmas when it was over, I find it good to get some time away from trees staff etc before getting stuck in to another year.