Which Chainsaw for Forestry

Jamie Jones

20 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Checked in my local stihl dealer this morning.
Max recommended bar is 20".
But hey I can run a 36" bar on my 261. emoji848.pngemoji57.pngemoji12.png
The 461 (76cc) will pull a 30" bar happily.
Yet the 462 (70cc) is only 10% smaller engine and takes a bar 10" less.
These are stihl recommendations.

So  1% = an inch .   That's one for the conversion tables ?

• Like 1

I have used both Husqvarna 572xpg and Stihl 462 but on different jobs, I can’t say that I noticed much difference in speed/power and I was massively impressed with the Stihl, never been inmpressed with a 441, dog of a saw designed by a student if ‘Brutalism’ the 462 walks all over it.

I will find out next week as I will have the 30 large Oaks to fell with the Husqvarna, my mate will have his Stihl 462 which he bought because of the Husqvarna wasn’t available, he hasn’t been disappointed.

He will also have his Woods ported 372xpw to throw into the mix, should make for an interesting week.

I will be felling with the bigger saw and delimbing with a Spud ported 346xp and a 562xpg with 13” and 16” guidebars on.

Time and motion studies concluded that the felling was only 10% of the work, 48% is delimbing/shedding/cross cutting, if you speed that side up you are far more productive, I’ve found the best way to do this is to have the smallest saw/bar combo to do the task.

• Like 1

I have used both Husqvarna 572xpg and Stihl 462 but on different jobs, I can’t say that I noticed much difference in speed/power and I was massively impressed with the Stihl, never been inmpressed with a 441, dog of a saw designed by a student if ‘Brutalism’ the 462 walks all over it.
I will find out next week as I will have the 30 large Oaks to fell with the Husqvarna, my mate will have his Stihl 462 which he bought because of the Husqvarna wasn’t available, he hasn’t been disappointed.
He will also have his Woods ported 372xpw to throw into the mix, should make for an interesting week.
I will be felling with the bigger saw and delimbing with a Spud ported 346xp and a 562xpg with 13” and 16” guidebars on.
Time and motion studies concluded that the felling was only 10% of the work, 48% is delimbing/shedding/cross cutting, if you speed that side up you are far more productive, I’ve found the best way to do this is to have the smallest saw/bar combo to do the task.

Yep the 441 was crap.
Any spud ported saws will wipe the floor with a stock saw.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji3]
  • Like 1

I had a recent experience felling a 6ft ash with my  MS462. It will pull a 36" bar OK if you're gentle and it's sharp but the oiler won't quite keep up when ringing up. Were I to do it every other week I'd buy an 880. But it's OK for one-offs, with a quick spray on the chain inbetween cuts whilst ringing up.

It's happy with a 24" bar on it, and positively flies with an 18". The heated handles are nice. Stubby, you're welcome to come have a play. It's really quick to rev up, that's for sure.

At the other end of the spectrum, I agree with guys who prefer a light saw. My go-to for most of my work (small scale land clearance, tangled laylandii) is an MS241 with a 16" Picco bar. You really notice the difference using a Picco chain, and whilst a big fan of Rotatech for a decent chain at low cost I did treat myself to some Stihl full chisel Picco loops for the 16" and can highly reccomend them. Probably a further 30% cut speed, quite incredible. I ummed and ahhed about an MS261 with heated handles, but decided that the 'middle ground' as it were wasn't worth the kilo of extra weight over the MS241, particularly as it's often a few quick cuts then back in the cab. I'd go as far as to say that the tree has to be over 18" for me to want to use the MS462 rather than the MS241, as the picco chain on the smaller saw makes them pretty much the same speed to cut.

18 minutes ago, doobin said:

I had a recent experience felling a 6ft ash with my  MS462. It will pull a 36" bar OK if you're gentle and it's sharp but the oiler won't quite keep up when ringing up. Were I to do it every other week I'd buy an 880. But it's OK for one-offs, with a quick spray on the chain inbetween cuts whilst ringing up.

It's happy with a 24" bar on it, and positively flies with an 18". The heated handles are nice. Stubby, you're welcome to come have a play. It's really quick to rev up, that's for sure.

At the other end of the spectrum, I agree with guys who prefer a light saw. My go-to for most of my work (small scale land clearance, tangled laylandii) is an MS241 with a 16" Picco bar. You really notice the difference using a Picco chain, and whilst a big fan of Rotatech for a decent chain at low cost I did treat myself to some Stihl full chisel Picco loops for the 16" and can highly reccomend them. Probably a further 30% cut speed, quite incredible. I ummed and ahhed about an MS261 with heated handles, but decided that the 'middle ground' as it were wasn't worth the kilo of extra weight over the MS241, particularly as it's often a few quick cuts then back in the cab. I'd go as far as to say that the tree has to be over 18" for me to want to use the MS462 rather than the MS241, as the picco chain on the smaller saw makes them pretty much the same speed to cut.

Hi doobin . Thanks for the offer but it was casual interest only . I don't need another saw .  Oh by the way I think I could possibly push a 6ft Ash over with my knob ! ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jamallio96 said:
14 minutes ago, Stubby said:
Hi doobin . Thanks for the offer but it was casual interest only . I don't need another saw .  Oh by the way I think I could possibly push a 6ft Ash over with my knob ! emoji16.png

Is that ash six foot diameter or six foot tall? ?

Either bud , either ?

462 kicks out 6hp and weighs just 6kg, how can that not be powerful for a 70cc saw? That's more punch than the makita 7900 and that's no slouch.

Why will stihl only recommend a 20" bar? When the 440 would pull 25" and the 461 30".
It's probably an emissions thing?