Which Chainsaw for Forestry

Jamie Jones

On 08/12/2018 at 08:54, Stubby said:

This is interesting . As I said I have never tried one . ( have a spud ported 372xp for that size saw )  So all the hype about it is inaccurate ?  I am also in the light saw short bar camp for the reasons stated . Having said that if you put me in the woods today I would be fecked by mid day :D

haha,me to stubby,       2nd thoughts half ten tea.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wyk said:

Bars are like legs. You only just need to have enough to reach the ground.

141300573.EgQa6CeJ.pm11.jpg

having a wee think,about back in the day, early seventies,you just got on with it with what you could afford. BUT THEN THE 266XP came along,those were the days,tonnage rose,think it went up to around 3ton a day,hahaha,brilliant saw but.

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 20:05, adw said:

You pensioners should out in the potting shed, or pottering around the garden, not playing with this quality low emission machinery, i have this vision of you being a short fat chap working in his "shed" bit like me really! i think your a dying breed Steve.

I missed this.....potting shed......fair comment as I do like to do a bit of gardening but the wife always says "does it always have to involve a two stroke machine":thumbup:

Pensioner - that is around 13 years away although I plan to start it much earlier than that.

Short fat......over 6' and 12.5 stone - sorry to shatter your illusion:(

Dying breed.......definitely, not many of us around now!

having a wee think,about back in the day, early seventies,you just got on with it with what you could afford. BUT THEN THE 266XP came along,those were the days,tonnage rose,think it went up to around 3ton a day,hahaha,brilliant saw but.

Every new saw the tonnage goes up.. I’ve been a rack and a half ahead by the end of the day with a 560 then swap with cutting partner on a 357 and it about evens it self out by day two .. problem is with any thing that burns bright dies quick.
I would take a 562 any day over another saw for hand cutting.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...
On 03/02/2019 at 11:23, spudulike said:

You pensioners should out in the potting shed, or pottering around the garden, not playing with this quality low emission machinery, i have this vision of you being a short fat chap working in his "shed" bit like me really! i think your a dying breed Steve. 

It sounds scary xD It seems to me that the retiree can do cool things with a saw like Chris Hansen (look at pinterest). For this need years of practice

Saying what saw for forestry is like saying what car is best for a road??

My go to saw for basically everything now is a Spudded husky 350, but if I could only have 1 saw it would probably be my Spudded 461 as it can cut big logs. But it would be a tough call to give up the 350!

• 1 month later...

been in the forest sector for years run the husky 560 550 both great saws when they don't break and play up recently my 550 was playing up so went and bought a echo 620 sx its still in its running in stages but my lord what a saw 60cc and it feels amazing loads of power apparently its a weapon when its run in and already after a few tanks i can see it picking its skirt up im totally converted to the echo and i can not wait to see what the new 70cc saw brings to the field would i buy a husky or a stihl agen probably but for now probably not 

Edited by markrufrider

On 08/12/2018 at 15:19, Rough Hewn said:

Checked in my local stihl dealer this morning.
Max recommended bar is 20".
But hey I can run a 36" bar on my 261. emoji848.pngemoji57.pngemoji12.png
The 461 (76cc) will pull a 30" bar happily.
Yet the 462 (70cc) is only 10% smaller engine and takes a bar 10" less.
These are stihl recommendations.

used a 462 about 2 week ago with 25" bar, i have 2 461s both quite new one on a 20" and one on a 25" bar and all i can say is the 462 leaves the 461 behind and the weight difference is very noticable the 462 is a very impressive saw and as for running a 461 on a 30" bar it would not be my choice by a long way OK if you have loads of time as i think you may need 1/2 an hour per cut .

used a 462 about 2 week ago with 25" bar, i have 2 461s both quite new one on a 20" and one on a 25" bar and all i can say is the 462 leaves the 461 behind and the weight difference is very noticable the 462 is a very impressive saw and as for running a 461 on a 30" bar it would not be my choice by a long way OK if you have loads of time as i think you may need 1/2 an hour per cut .

That's interesting[emoji106]
I have used a 461 for milling with a 30" bar maxed out. No problems.
The 661 does go a bit quicker with the 30".
Got any videos?
[emoji106]
  • Like 1