Which Chainsaw for Forestry

Jamie Jones

1 minute ago, The Technician said:

They came out in Canada in 2013 and that is where I worked on them! It was the TS500I that was the first.

Your other post said and quoted it in my last post , now you say a ts500i

I get a big sniff of male bovine excrement ????

1 hour ago, The Technician said:

Some were ok but most were not. All I am saying is that there were a lot of problems and of course design changes. Technology in small power equipment is constantly changing. I'll bet no one has seen the new (i) series come out by Stihl yet?? There is no carb or coil.  They have a fuel injector and a CDI control box, which has a spark plug lead firing the spark plug. The power generator behind the flywheel is what generates the power for the control box. Good bye back yard mechanics! So that's the belief! I've already seen them and worked on them! 

All in all, I'm not here to criticise anyone or any brand. Some love certain brands others hate certain brands. I have seen technology change through the years, but the interesting thing, how technicians have all but disappeared. A lot of shops struggle to find people that actually know what they are doing. This is now a common topic at a lot of shows and factory meetings.

Yep . We have . Its been on here a few times ,

On 08/12/2018 at 23:01, outinthewood said:

Not really a one saw answer, I've used the full range of Stihl and Husqvarna and as the years have gone by I've found the Husqvarna's suit me better. Hard to beat the 550 for small stuff and brashing, 562 for medium and I'm finding the 572 very good for the stuff 1470 or 951 leaves behind. This is the stock saw list ported is another conversation ! 

Been doing a job this last couple of weeks and going from Douglas Fir to Scots to Larch and Beech  all with 28" on the 572 and been no trouble a good saw with same weight as 372 XP XT. 

Haven't seen a 565 yet be interesting to see how it sells as the replacement for the 365.

Get a 395xp and some muscles. Problem solved. ?

And what problem do I have to solve ? After almost 30 years of using saws and cutting timber I have more than a fair idea of how to do my job … Why would anyone want to use a 395 when if you have a very well ported range of saws to do the same job with less effort ?? Oh and as I have a ported 394 no thanks on the 395 !! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, outinthewood said:

And what problem do I have to solve ? After almost 30 years of using saws and cutting timber I have more than a fair idea of how to do my job … Why would anyone want to use a 395 when if you have a very well ported range of saws to do the same job with less effort ?? Oh and as I have a ported 394 no thanks on the 395 !! 

I have had 2 X 394 saws in my time . Both low tops . First  a narrow clip and the second a wide clip .  I now have a 395 .   I* thought the 394 was ever so slightly more torquey . What say you ?

What ported saws do you use?

Ever had any HSE issues with ported saws on site?

[emoji106]

On the 394 - I've had 2 as well one low and my present one a Hi top, used a couple of 395s and yes I reckon the 394 has the edge on torque and would say I was almost disappointed with the 395 ? I'm going to get this wrong but is it the carb better on the 394 and the cyl better to port on the 395 ? put those together and a good result ! 

On the ported saws - I run 562,372,"375" 385,390 and 394 just MM'd 288, 2101s , 576s, 562, 461, 550 , 560 , 346 and no problems on site but then I don't say a whole lot about what I'm using …