Which Chainsaw for Forestry

Jamie Jones

On 11/12/2018 at 14:12, The Technician said:

As a technician that has worked on machinery for 30 years, I have seen technology change through the years. When Husqvarna brought out the 500 series, there was a design flaw. What they did is removed the crankcase seals and inserted the seal into the bearing on both sides. The composition of the rubber would not take the heat and engines were blowing up within the first few days of use. Since then, they strengthened the rubber of those seals, but over time the rubber will deteriorate and the engine will blow. A 2 stroke engine does what is known as scavenging with its heat. When the piston is moving back up, it blows the exhaust out of the exhaust port, but when the piston goes past and blocks the exhaust port, some exhaust goes down the intake port, which, this is how the heat gets to the crankshaft and to the bearings and those seals. In my view, you will have those who love Husqvarna and those that love Stihl and other brands. But with any 500 series Husqvarna, don’t be surprised if the shop says it has score marks and needs to be overhauled! With these, the crankcase also needs to be split and the bearings with the seals need to be replaced. If you would like your chainsaws repaired by me, feel free to get in contact. Dana 07858 579436

I bought one of the first 550s when they came out, ran it on husky oil all its life and it is still going so cant have been much of a design flaw,put a piston and ring in about 2 yrs ago and no scoring on the barrel,happy days:thumbup: 

Some were ok but most were not. All I am saying is that there were a lot of problems and of course design changes. Technology in small power equipment is constantly changing. I'll bet no one has seen the new (i) series come out by Stihl yet?? There is no carb or coil.  They have a fuel injector and a CDI control box, which has a spark plug lead firing the spark plug. The power generator behind the flywheel is what generates the power for the control box. Good bye back yard mechanics! So that's the belief! I've already seen them and worked on them! 

All in all, I'm not here to criticise anyone or any brand. Some love certain brands others hate certain brands. I have seen technology change through the years, but the interesting thing, how technicians have all but disappeared. A lot of shops struggle to find people that actually know what they are doing. This is now a common topic at a lot of shows and factory meetings.

Some were ok but most were not. All I am saying is that there were a lot of problems and of course design changes. Technology in small power equipment is constantly changing. I'll bet no one has seen the new (i) series come out by Stihl yet?? There is no carb or coil.  They have a fuel injector and a CDI control box, which has a spark plug lead firing the spark plug. The power generator behind the flywheel is what generates the power for the control box. Good bye back yard mechanics! So that's the belief! I've already seen them and worked on them! 
All in all, I'm not here to criticise anyone or any brand. Some love certain brands others hate certain brands. I have seen technology change through the years, but the interesting thing, how technicians have all but disappeared. A lot of shops struggle to find people that actually know what they are doing. This is now a common topic at a lot of shows and factory meetings.

What are we betting? [emoji12]

48 minutes ago, The Technician said:

. Technology in small power equipment is constantly changing. I'll bet no one has seen the new (i) series come out by Stihl yet?? There is no carb or coil.  They have a fuel injector and a CDI control box, which has a spark plug lead firing the spark plug. The power generator behind the flywheel is what generates the power for the control box. Good bye back yard mechanics! So that's the belief! I've already seen them and worked on them! 

do you really think we’ve all had our heads in the pile of sawdust, of course we’ve seen and watch guys around on YouTube with 500i and comparing them to other saws.

and if you’ve seen them and worked on them what are your thoughts, oh,,,you got any pics to show us .?

1 hour ago, The Technician said:

So your not here to... "criticise anyone or any brand" .......As your first post included your phone number along with reference to your background , I take it what you are here for is to drum up trade for yourself. 

Edited by Sawchip

4 minutes ago, Sawchip said:

So your not here to... "criticise anyone or any brand" .......As your first post included your phone number along with reference to your background , I take it what you are here for is to drum up trade for yourself. 

Well, I am a technician and if people want their machines fixed, that is what I do!