Claiming on public liability

forestboy1978

Yeah I'm going to take it on the chin. 

Blatantly breakage occurred whilst fitting the gate otherwise it would have come back to me sooner. They would have put 2 and 2 together but as toilet started not flushing weeks after the fence was installed they were not aware of the cause. 

Yeah I stupidly fitted a ball of concrete all the way down to the pipe. Should have put 2 inches of sand underneath the post but hey ho. Only came to £920 to re fit the whole lot which is surprising. 

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

First things first, is this a private foul drain or a sewer?, before anyone starts digging to do a repair get a camera down there to see what damage as been done, it might be possible to put a liner in for a few hundred quid.

Thanks for that info but it's all gone through insurance already and bill has been provided. I suspect that that is exactly what the solution was and someone has made a pretty penny. 

2 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

Thanks for that info but it's all gone through insurance already and bill has been provided. I suspect that that is exactly what the solution was and someone has made a pretty penny. 

Can I ask how much the repair cost your insurance?

4 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

Yes, it cost me £920 as my excess is 1k so obv pointless making the claim.

Their insurance company paid for that and are billing me or my insurance company btw. 

If It was dug up repaired and the footpath/patio reinstated I don't think that's too far out, if it was lined it sounds a bit steep.

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

If It was dug up repaired and the footpath/patio reinstated I don't think that's too far out, if it was lined it sounds a bit steep.

Well I think I got off comparitively lightly. Didn't want to pay 1k excess and then have to claim on the insurance. 

I'm surprised you think that's cheap as more than 1 discipline is required unless trader knew drainage and fencing. 

Remove gate

Break out end post

Cut concrete footpath and some paving

excavate

Repair refit pipe

Potentially cut down fence bay and refit post in another position

Refit gate

Repair patio

Pour concrete

I was expecting 2-3k for multiple site visits just cos it's an insurance job. Being that you have to wait for your money also. 

Anyway, a rare bit of good luck ?

I worked for a drainage company for 12-18 months and for a 4" pipe 0.5m long they charged £500 plus £180 call out charge thats without surveying so your fix sounds really cheap considering with the patches it normally takes about 15 mins to survey depending on the run lengh and then to cut the patch apply the resin and send the packer down the run its about 2.5 hours all in ?

Edited by Jwoodgardenmaintenance

13 minutes ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

I worked for a drainage company for 12-18 months and for a 4" pipe 0.5m long they charged £500 plus £180 call out charge thats without surveying so your fix sounds really cheap considering with the patches it normally takes about 15 mins to survey depending on the run lengh and then to cut the patch apply the resin and send the packer down the run its about 2.5 hours all in ?

How did they know where to put the patch without a survey?

Edit: Or do you mean they charged extra to camera it?

Edited by eggsarascal

The call out charge was literally to just come out and jet it then if needed be theyd send a camera up if there was and collapsed pipework we would advise the customer to get a survey and if they agreed we would survey it noting all defects and then advise rather 0.5m patch 1m patch or a drag through liner and the patches were absolutley extorcionate price and the best part was if the clay pipe popped and the packer got stuch we would have to excavate it and retrieve our stuff and then charge the customer for the "Extra Work"