Claiming on public liability

forestboy1978

In summation as brief as I can I "possibly" broke a sewer pipe when fitting a fence several months ago. I say possible cos when digging I came across it and didn't break it so spent quite some time deliberating on how to work around the problem. 

Obviously I cut the concrete post down but I knew the neighbour was going to hang a gate on it so I made a wider hole and buried the post around 14 inch deep and concluded that it'd prolly be ok as it was encompassed, kinda binded up with surrounding concrete footpaths and patio etc and it had a wide anchor of concrete fitted to it. 

A- I'm wondering what the cost is gonna be. They need to get a drainage person, cut concrete footpath, re fit drain, do some kind of re fit on the fence etc and disassemble neighbours gate and re fit it again. He did a proper bodge fitting his own gate so you'll be quoting for working on a bodge on the gate refit. Then re pour concrete footpath.

B- I'm wondering if it was even me and not the neighbour who fitted the gate clattering the hell out of the post or something

C- I'm wondering if it's worth claiming on the PLI and what future damage that is likely to cause. Excess is 1k anyway.  

D- I'm contemplating disputing it as, I definitely left the pipe intact prior to pouring a small amount of dry post crete above it and then carefully placing post in the whole before pouring water and more post crete. You don't cut a concrete post to avoid breaking a pipe if you've broken it if you catch my drift. What's the point. 

I would do it myself but the guy is a twat. He said he wanted to walk behind his shed after fence was installed. Then went out. Then I realised the line he chose wouldn't allow it so I spoke to his wife and her exact words were "Yeah, put in a small deviation so he can get behind the shed. I'LL TAKE RESPONSIBILITY" Then he came home and made a right song and dance about it so spent 3 hours re aligning 3 semi set concrete post fitted with closeboard concrete gravel boards. These weren't the gate offending posts btw that caused the drain breakage supposedly. 

3 months later I get a call about blocked toilet and reason and I go take a look. Wish I'd video'd the gate and wall plate it was fitted to now. Gah

We cracked a hole in one that was down stream of a pump . Every few mins there was a geezer spouting up of foul water . Turns out the pipe was too shallow ( not to spec ) they came and put a sorta bitumen  patch on for free .

Edited by Stubby

5 minutes ago, Stubby said:

We cracked a hole in one that was down stream of a pump . Every few mins there was a geezer spouting up of foul water . Turns out the pipe was too shallow ( not to spec ) they came and put a sorta bitumen  patch on for free .

Did similar, cracked a 14 inch diameter sewer in Woking, cost my insurance 5k.

2 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Did similar, cracked a 14 inch diameter sewer in Woking, cost my insurance 5k.

We were felling on an old nursery site after  ( in Barnham ) dismantling  the glass houses .

Edited by Stubby

Don't know if it matters but it would fall under my last policy I had prior to annual change, which was also with another company. 

Not even sure what the excess is with them or who they were. Does it damage your premium much making such a claim?

Never claimed on an insurance policy in my life yet so no idea. 

On 07/12/2018 at 18:55, forestboy1978 said:

In summation as brief as I can I "possibly" broke a sewer pipe when fitting a fence several months ago. I say possible cos when digging I came across it and didn't break it so spent quite some time deliberating on how to work around the problem. 

Obviously I cut the concrete post down but I knew the neighbour was going to hang a gate on it so I made a wider hole and buried the post around 14 inch deep and concluded that it'd prolly be ok as it was encompassed, kinda binded up with surrounding concrete footpaths and patio etc and it had a wide anchor of concrete fitted to it. 

A- I'm wondering what the cost is gonna be. They need to get a drainage person, cut concrete footpath, re fit drain, do some kind of re fit on the fence etc and disassemble neighbours gate and re fit it again. He did a proper bodge fitting his own gate so you'll be quoting for working on a bodge on the gate refit. Then re pour concrete footpath.

B- I'm wondering if it was even me and not the neighbour who fitted the gate clattering the hell out of the post or something

C- I'm wondering if it's worth claiming on the PLI and what future damage that is likely to cause. Excess is 1k anyway.  

D- I'm contemplating disputing it as, I definitely left the pipe intact prior to pouring a small amount of dry post crete above it and then carefully placing post in the whole before pouring water and more post crete. You don't cut a concrete post to avoid breaking a pipe if you've broken it if you catch my drift. What's the point. 

I would do it myself but the guy is a twat. He said he wanted to walk behind his shed after fence was installed. Then went out. Then I realised the line he chose wouldn't allow it so I spoke to his wife and her exact words were "Yeah, put in a small deviation so he can get behind the shed. I'LL TAKE RESPONSIBILITY" Then he came home and made a right song and dance about it so spent 3 hours re aligning 3 semi set concrete post fitted with closeboard concrete gravel boards. These weren't the gate offending posts btw that caused the drain breakage supposedly. 

3 months later I get a call about blocked toilet and reason and I go take a look. Wish I'd video'd the gate and wall plate it was fitted to now. Gah

Unless you explained the situation to the client, got them to agree with your course of action and documented said course of action I’d say your taking this one on the chin. Don’t doubt you were careful but the fact remains you’ve disturbed the immediate area around the pipe and that immediate area is now what’s causing the issue. Hard to say without seeing it. Was the concrete over/around the pipe and the post ?

Had a job to lift a tree of heaven, loads of branches overhanging clients new garden office.
CA, no tpo.
Spoke with the owner who said.
"Yes that's fine, but the last tree surgeon who pruned the tree caused root die back which collapsed the Victorian sewer underneath.
Which you will be liable for".
Branches are still growing...
[emoji51]