Rats

Baldbloke

1 hour ago, Baldbloke said:

We have about 20 chickens and over the last few months have seen quite a few rats. Obviously they have come in because of the availability of hen pellets plus water. I've had a few in Fenn traps but think I need to step up my efforts before I'm overrun with the f******. I've moved the chickens roost and food into a polytunnel and the rats are much more visible. Last night I went up there, and two of them were doing acrobatics off the suspended feeder. The weak torch didn't seem to bother them so I'll strap a tactical torch to the rimfire and see if I can plug a few before work tonight.

I used to be able to buy bait but understand the EU is to blame for it not now being available until you've done a test at yet more cost. What is available is half the volume and half the strength and have been advised it's a waste of time and money as they almost build an immunity to it. The wife doesn't like me encouraging the dogs to get at them, but all other options are on the table rather than getting rid of the chickens, although this might be a good excuse. 

What is the preferred best method for dealing with this vermin?  I do seem to remember successfully setting tunnel traps as a kid but can't remember the dimensions for the drawbridge that stops them coming back out. Anyone tried a buried deep barrel with two pipes into the top?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      This and this .          

DSCF0018.jpg.3b7805d1576427989abf4ef6c3a3090a.jpgDSCF0019.jpg.f9386df3964306966167a68f045aed30.jpg

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 3

nuttella spread or penut butter diluted with veg oil to the consistancy of paint, put on a piece of ply or plastic, this works a treat as they have to stay still to lap it up then just pop em off as they appear, did this not long ago as some one said they had about 10 rats in a building 37 first night 31 second night 57 third night 23 forth night then he decided to get some bait and put that down, bait went as fast as he put it down for first wk, then what ever you moved there was a dead rat or 2 behind or underneath, 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

That's a mean looking cat, I have two one has dementia the other is transgendered and will only attack butterflies and leaves!!!!!!!

A .410 with moderator and subsonic cartridge's do it for me! Used to use the rim fire with night vision to.

Alfie.jpg

Fatty.jpg

He isn't as mean as he looks, unless you're a rodent.

photo 4.JPG

• Like 1

I taught my two kittens to catch mice etc.
Catch two live small mice.
Take one kitten and say mouse! Mouse! Mouse!
In an excited way.
The kitten will pick up on your vibe.
Drop live mouse in front of kitten.
As long as the mouse stays still the kitten will just stare and sniff.
As soon as the mouse legs it, kittens innate predator comes out.
Say the word "mouse" to kitten later, it remembers and gets excited, starts sniffing about.
Within a couple of weeks our mouse problem had gone.
[emoji106]

I can vouch for peanut butter as rat bait.
+ .22 air rifle
[emoji106]

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Stubby said:

DSCF0018.jpg.3b7805d1576427989abf4ef6c3a3090a.jpgDSCF0019.jpg.f9386df3964306966167a68f045aed30.jpg

Nice selection. I use a Crosman 2250xl with a 1-4x24 BSA scope on it(real tack driver) until it gets too cold and then my old Lightning comes out to play. I got hold of a decent NV scope recently which will be going on a Kral bullpup to make it even dodgier to be a rat around the woodpile.

• Like 1