How long is too long for mill trailer

LeeGray

Planning on building a trailer for my little woodland mill over Christmas time. I want to keep the full capacity length wise (22’)but imagine the trailers going to be about 8-9m long in total. Anyone towed something like that before and was it manageable? I’ve seen a few drilling rigs around that must be that length and they look stable enough. Is there a restriction on how long you can go? Weight shouldn’t be a problem and I can lock the mill off at any point on the rails to get nose weight/balance correct. Was hoping single axle if I can keep the weight down enough.

It won’t do many miles, mainly for use in the yard rather loading and unloading one side only in the shed as I do now. But I want to keep mobility at the full length if possible.

8 hours ago, woody paul said:

You can have a longer trailer because most glider trailers are, there's a loop hole in the law regarding total length and weight of trailer and tow vehicle. 

Yes for indivisible loads you can go longer.

There is still a max of 18m total length of vehicle & trailer.

If its a separate trailer with a "load" on it you also have the legal over hangs that are allowed.

How much depends on how you mark it.

You cant go heavier.

If the mill is bolted together in sections it might be hard to claim its an indivisible load.

Why not have the bulk of it fixed & then extend the bed on a fold out section?

I used to tow an over sized trailer that was an indivisible load as it was a one piece fiberglass molding.

9 hours ago, LeeGray said:

Cheers J, was that single axle? Assume that had trailer brakes too?

It was braked and it was single axle. About 1800kg I think. With the Woodland Mill it will be much lighter so it's unlikely you'll need brakes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Big J said:

It was braked and it was single axle. About 1800kg I think. With the Woodland Mill it will be much lighter so it's unlikely you'll need brakes.

Assume I’ll need brakes for over 750kg, even if it’s a fixed load and effectively not just a trailer?