How long is too long for mill trailer

LeeGray

7 hours ago, LeeGray said:

No I’m building a trailed implement. Woodland mills sell these in the uk and people are running them legally as has been said on here. They have no type approval.

Have you actually seen a legal doc that says they are exempt?

People can in general sell anything. Its the use that is mostly illegal.

Plus they can sell them as Agri legal & people use then for non agri illegally.

This is what I have found re IVA.

Article 2

Scope

1.   This Directive applies to the type-approval of vehicles designed and constructed in one or more stages for use on the road, and of systems, components and separate technical units designed and constructed for such vehicles.

It also applies to the individual approval of such vehicles.

This Directive also applies to parts and equipment intended for vehicles covered by this Directive.

2.   This Directive does not apply to the type-approval or individual approval of the following vehicles:

(a)

agricultural or forestry tractors, as defined in Directive 2003/37/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 May 2003 on type-approval of agricultural or forestry tractors, their trailers and interchangeable towed machinery, together with their systems, components and separate technical units (10) and trailers designed and constructed specifically to be towed by them;

(b)

quadricycles as defined in Directive 2002/24/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 March 2002 relating to the type-approval of two or three-wheel motor vehicles (11);

(c)

tracked vehicles.

3.   Type-approval or individual approval under this Directive is optional for the following vehicles:

(a)

vehicles designed and constructed for use principally on construction sites or in quarries, port or airport facilities;

(b)

vehicles designed and constructed for use by the armed services, civil defence, fire services and forces responsible for maintaining public order; and

(c)

*****mobile machinery,******* 

(seems to offer hope but see highlighted bit below)

to the extent that these vehicles fulfil the requirements of this Directive. Such optional approvals shall be without prejudice to the application of Directive 2006/42/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 May 2006 on machinery (12).

‘mobile machinery’ means any self-propelled vehicle which is designed and constructed specifically to perform work which, because of its construction characteristics, is not suitable for carrying passengers or for transporting goods. Machinery mounted on a motor vehicle chassis shall not be considered as mobile machinery;

Quotes from here

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32007L0046 

Edited by Justme
  • Like 1

Thanks again for all the info, sound like I need to email vosa, dvsa, dvla?? To try to get an answer. Rang the Nfu who already insure the mill, my farm, my vehicles and my businesses. Told them what I wanted to do and they’re happy to insure it without any type approval and can’t see why I’d need it but I’d prefer to get something in writing from government as to what I need to do about this. 

2 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

Thanks again for all the info, sound like I need to email vosa, dvsa, dvla?? To try to get an answer. Rang the Nfu who already insure the mill, my farm, my vehicles and my businesses. Told them what I wanted to do and they’re happy to insure it without any type approval and can’t see why I’d need it but I’d prefer to get something in writing from government as to what I need to do about this. 

Yeh, get in writing from your insurance too. I bet they dont. :D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, farmer rod said:

I can't remember whether there was a back plate on the hub, otherwise it would probably be easier to replace the stub axles  @openspaceman 

There are no backplates so yes it will need the stub axles cutting off and having OEM braked stub axles welded on. I have contacted the importers for parts but they have declined to supply either a complete bogey or the stub axles but they are a well known brand of axles. I'm torn between cam operated ones with external rams as supplied OEM or internal hydraulic actuators as fitted to more modern equipment.

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Yeh, get in writing from your insurance too. I bet they dont. :D 

They pointed me to the any trailer, trailed implement or otherwise attached implement or machinery used in association with my business in the policy wording.