How long is too long for mill trailer

LeeGray

This is interesting

Unbraked Trailers

Weights

The laden weight of an unbraked trailer used on the road must not exceed its maximum gross weight. It may only be towed by a vehicle whose kerbside weight is at least double the unladen weight of the trailer together with the weight of any load the trailer is carrying.

Agricultural trailers and gritting trailers not exceeding 2000kg maximum gross weight and trailers under 750kg gvw are exempt from these requirements. Trailers outside these categories must be fitted with brakes if their laden weight exceeds half the towing vehicle’s kerbside weight.  From here https://app.croneri.co.uk/topics/construction-and-use-vehicles-and-trailers/indepth

11 hours ago, openspaceman said:

The exception is for an Agricultural Trailed Appliance  which did not require brakes or suspension if they weighed less than 1420kgs, did not exceed 20mph and did not carry a load. I

1 hour ago, Justme said:

A quick read of the regs and a trailed appliance is actually an Agricultural Trailed appliance to be exempt.

As I said

1 hour ago, LeeGray said:

To be exempt from what?

Exempt from having brakes.

Aside from the lawfulness I wouldn't consider building a mobile mill without brakes as it is far too restrictive, if it weighs over 750kg no ordinary road going vehicle may tow it, it can only be used on strictly forestry or agricultural jobs and it's simply not as safe as one with brakes.

When I worked as an agricultural salesman for a year ( that was one of a few others I left out of my career synopsis on another thread) we would deliver balers, which had no brakes, behind the works truck, we never got stopped  and at 24 years old I never questioned the legality.

As a further aside I used a 9tonne timber trailer which had no brakes, I only towed it on the road  unladen and would have tried to use the ATA exemption if I was ever stopped but I wasn't. I'm actively researching fitting brakes now, it appears in the thread post pictures of your tractors care of @farmer rod

Edited by openspaceman
spelling

49 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

As I said

Aside from the lawfulness I wouldn't consider building a mobile mill without brakes as it is far too restrictive, if it weighs over 750kg no ordinary road going vehicle may tow it, it can only be used on strictly forestry or agricultural jobs and it's simply not as safe as one with brakes.

When I worked as an agricultural salesman for a year ( that was one of a few others I left out of my career synopsis on another thread) we would deliver balers, which had no brakes, behind the works truck, we never got stopped  and at 24 years old I never questioned the legality.

As a further aside I used a 9tonne timber trailer which had no brakes, I only towed it on the road  unladen and would have tried to use the ATA exemption if I was ever stopped but I wasn't. I'm actively researching fitting brakes now, it appears in the thread post pictures of your tractors care of @farmer rod

I can't remember whether there was a back plate on the hub, otherwise it would probably be easier to replace the stub axles  @openspaceman 

3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

As I said

Ok thanks for the info, but as I said I’ll be building it with brakes as it’ll be over 750kgs and as stated by Bob it would be a handful without them regardless of weight. It’s the need for testing for a trailed implement that seems to be an issue.