How long is too long for mill trailer

LeeGray

6 hours ago, LeeGray said:

There over weight for non braked, so illegal to tow on road in uk as far as I can see. Not type approved either but reading up on this I’m not sure they need to be.

They need to be approved.

The "plant" exemption if only for vehicles not trailers.

11 minutes ago, Justme said:

If its over 750kg MLPM then it must have brakes unless its for a tractor then there are some regs re the ratio between tractor & trailer.

Not sure what MLPM is but I cant see a Mill and Trailer being over 750kg. I think they've intentionally kept it below that weight for that very reason.

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Not sure what MLPM is but I cant see a Mill and Trailer being over 750kg. I think they've intentionally kept it below that weight for that very reason.

Maximum Legally Permitted Mass.

Similar to MAM for vehicles.

The most it could be inc all loads.

A trailer 7m long will be close to that to be stiff enough to be used as a milling bed.

• Like 1

As well as farming I also sell racing rowing boats, these are long, we tow 13.6m boats behind double cab. The boats do project over the top of the pickup and also to the rear of the main trailer box, this has an extendable lighting board so this basically extends the length of the trailer whilst remaining legal. You could see if these guys will sell you just the chassis with the main box or boat racking
https://www.degraafftrailers.co.uk/rowing-boat-trailers-1

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

Cheers. :) 

I think the key word is close. :D 

For the trailer, add the mill & your over.

If I was designing this, I doubt I would try to plan to be under a total all up weight of 750kg.

I would also want the trailer to carry the kit needed, fuels, spares ect.

Again at 7m I would want twin axles.

1 minute ago, Ambisawrous said:

As well as farming I also sell racing rowing boats, these are long, we tow 13.6m boats behind double cab. The boats do project over the top of the pickup and also to the rear of the main trailer box, this has an extendable lighting board so this basically extends the length of the trailer whilst remaining legal. You could see if these guys will sell you just the chassis with the main box or boat racking
https://www.degraafftrailers.co.uk/rowing-boat-trailers-1

Yes an exemption for an indivisible load. 

Boats cut in half dont generally work well.

( I have seen bolt together long boats with a strong bulkhead to bolt the sections together)

A bolted together mill has no such need.

1 minute ago, Justme said:

For the trailer, add the mill & your over.

If I was designing this, I doubt I would try to plan to be under a total all up weight of 750kg.

I would also want the trailer to carry the kit needed, fuels, spares ect.

Again at 7m I would want twin axles.

Would be good to get an official number. 

Ive not heard of a single person in Europe or the US having issue with the Norwood or Woodland Mills Trailer having a single axle. 

I have plenty space in the back of my Jeep for spares and Fuel. 

If it’s going to be a tonne or under no real need for twin axles, I’ve been towing boats all round the country for nearly 15yrs on single axle trailer 10’s of 1000’s of miles never had problem. If you have to man handle it in a tight space you will be very glad of a single axle, it will turn on itself.