How long is too long for mill trailer

LeeGray

4 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

I could take on a bale trailer or just build it as a tractor tow trailer if need be, it’s not something I do masses of so wouldn’t be looking to get new vehicle and operators license.

The trouble with that option is that the work would not be farming or forestry so you would need a CE licence, white diesel, tacho, O licence etc etc.

Just now, Justme said:

The trouble with that option is that the work would not be farming or forestry so you would need a CE licence, white diesel, tacho, O licence etc etc.

I assumed if it was working on a farm, for a farmer, with something that was produced on the farm it would covered as farming or forestry. Is this the case? What would be the case when contractors move diggers between farms on tractors..is that covered the same way?

10 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

I assumed if it was working on a farm, for a farmer, with something that was produced on the farm it would covered as farming or forestry. Is this the case? What would be the case when contractors move diggers between farms on tractors..is that covered the same way?

Doing work for a farmer on a farm is not farming. Moving a digger could be if the digger was doing farming g and the tractor was also used on the same site. If not its haulage. Lots of contractors have been done for this.

27 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

I was thinking the wheels would be about the same width as mill head or wider as it’s a very small mill but once I figure where the weight is balanced I could set up some brackets to turn the head through 90 degrees. Good suggestion. Are other mills set to travel like this? 

No not many, but even if you catch the head on something in the hedge and bend it out of alignment you will wish you would have had it inboard..... The Autotrek ,Wimmer, not sure about the bigger Serra(I know you can reduce the width of the heads on some of the Bavaria  models), certainly turn through 90*,but these will be wider then your mill, and these are generally built like brick out houses, not decrying the build quality of your mill but I bet it is not using the same gauge steel as those.....I would certainly have it inboard, on twin axles and only 7mts long, towing anything much longer and turning into gateways could be a PITA unless its double gated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Justme said:

Doing work for a farmer on a farm is not farming. Moving a digger could be if the digger was doing farming g and the tractor was also used on the same site. If not its haulage. Lots of contractors have been done for this.

Definitely sounds like a grey area, not many cows milked, fields sown and harvested or sheep clipped by a digger I imagine yet everyone seams to move them round here with tractors. What about the hedge cutting lads? Do they run on o license and white? Same for Gritters when it’s the tractor towing the spreading. Not trying to be funny, just interested to know what the crack is on this.

10 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

Definitely sounds like a grey area, not many cows milked, fields sown and harvested or sheep clipped by a digger I imagine yet everyone seams to move them round here with tractors. What about the hedge cutting lads? Do they run on o license and white? Same for Gritters when it’s the tractor towing the spreading. Not trying to be funny, just interested to know what the crack is on this.

Gritting and hedges are exempt uses.