How long is too long for mill trailer

LeeGray

12 minutes ago, Justme said:

If the mill is bolted together in sections it might be hard to claim its an indivisible load.

Why not have the bulk of it fixed & then extend the bed on a fold out section?

I used to tow an over sized trailer that was an indivisible load as it was a one piece fiberglass molding.

It’ll be mounted on a fully welded steel frame/chassis which I’ll either make as the bed and track for the mill or permanently attach the mill tracks to. Want the full length ready to go permanently really without messing about, otherwise I could just put the thing on my 16’ trailer and overhang.

so will running wheels be the width of the cutting head assembly, or are you planning to turn it 90* and fix it in place, otherwise your head will most likely be the widest part of the mill/trailer combination, meet a  lorry coming in the opposite direction and you might need some clean underwear.... just a thought from towing mills around country lanes for the past 20 odd years....

13 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

It’ll be mounted on a fully welded steel frame/chassis which I’ll either make as the bed and track for the mill or permanently attach the mill tracks to. Want the full length ready to go permanently really without messing about, otherwise I could just put the thing on my 16’ trailer and overhang.

Just remember that in  most stops it will be up to you to prove that an exemption applies. Lots wont even know about the exemption. Why make life hard, keep it under 7m (nearly 23 feet) body length (plus draw bar) & if you need the extra a drop in section is easy.

On the 16 foot trailer you would have the full 3m rear over hang allowed, need proper signage & be a pain to balance safely.

16 minutes ago, Justme said:

Second option.

Take your C1 & C1E tests & then you can go to 12m trailer & 18m total as long as the towing vehicle is 3501+kg.

I could take on a bale trailer or just build it as a tractor tow trailer if need be, it’s not something I do masses of so wouldn’t be looking to get new vehicle and operators license.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, youcallthatbig said:

and even at 7metres long with a single axle you will need to be getting the weight distribution spot on....

I assume locking off the mill in the right position to get the load balanced should be ok.

31 minutes ago, youcallthatbig said:

so will running wheels be the width of the cutting head assembly, or are you planning to turn it 90* and fix it in place, otherwise your head will most likely be the widest part of the mill/trailer combination, meet a  lorry coming in the opposite direction and you might need some clean underwear.... just a thought from towing mills around country lanes for the past 20 odd years....

I was thinking the wheels would be about the same width as mill head or wider as it’s a very small mill but once I figure where the weight is balanced I could set up some brackets to turn the head through 90 degrees. Good suggestion. Are other mills set to travel like this?