Tree Surveying

jsrcountryside

I'm a self employed countryside management contractor based in West Devon. Looking to get into freelance tree surveying in the near future. I have NPTC ground saw, felling and maintenance. I've found courses for basic tree inspection aswell as the PTI once I've completed the basic course. Are these qualifications enough to take on this sort of work?

Cheers!

It depends m8, you will def need your p.t.i. and depending on your current level of knowledge you may need to start with the basic tree inspection course.

Be wary though, as a tree surveyor you will be expected to know and understand a wide range of tree ident, pest and disease (identification, life cycle, impact on tree health and risk ratings e.t.c.), bio mechanics, current legislations, make and record observations using current databases and understand the impact of your recommendations on the future health/maintenance program of each tree. Plus much more.........

It is a common view that tree surveying is a good way to spend your golden years after a lifetime of climbing. IMHO 5-10 years of climbing should be a pre-requisit to being a surveyor, the knowledge and understanding of what is appropriate and achievable take a long time to develop.

I would suggest that most credible companies would want all the above with at least a full level 4 diploma if not level 6, some of your decisions can have fatal and/or VERY expensive outcomes and if you cannot justify your recommendations in court your in deep deep doodoo.......

I don’t want to rain on your parade but I have seen people come in as a surveyor and leave in short time as they had no real grasp on the knowledge needed and the scope of  the job role.

Good luck with your decision m8.

I found the basic course useful, and you can get insurance with it. However is is 1 day and basic as the name suggests. Pti is the one to get, but quite tough. I was at some tree hazard training recently and was surprised how many none arbs who had pri, they mostly had a more academic background. So you can pass pti without years of climbing/tree work.

All the best.

Hi jsrcountryside,

We are based on the Devon/Cornwall Border.

We run several courses relating to Tree Surveying. The one day Lantra BTI. An intermediate 3 day City and Guilds Level 3 in Tree Surveying and Inspection (Achieving a L3 City and Guilds Forestry and Arb Unit). and The 3 day Lantra PTI. 

Many of our students find the City and Guilds Unit a great stepping stone to achieving the PTI.

Our next City and Guilds Tree Survey Unit Course is on April 10th-12th which can also be combined with the BTI if required. Cost is £485 (BTI is additional cost). Our next Lantra PTI is on March 11th-13th at a cost of £595.

Do get in touch if you'd like to discuss. The C&G Unit can build into a full Level 3 in Forestry and Arb Qualification with units including Tree and Plant Science, Tree Pests and Diseases, Tree ID and Planting.

Lynher Training