start up gear for foreigners

Boggle4137

Hi everyone and merry Christmas

At some point next year I wouldn't mind expanding my gear to carry out more than my usual garden maintenance (other than the grass cutting and occasional tree work) that I do on the side.

I've got a decent mower and a good chainsaw set up but I need the following -

Hedge cutters

Med-small strimmer

Blower

Any hand tools (other than basics)

I think the following year I'll invest in a trailer and probably a polesaw with all the trimmings but for now that is all the equipment in need, as I'm only doing small-medium gardens after work or on weekends. I'm keen to hear what everyone recommends, especially on battery powered stuff and I prefer sthils but I'm willing to consider other stuff.

5 hours ago, Boggle4137 said:

Hi everyone and merry Christmas

At some point next year I wouldn't mind expanding my gear to carry out more than my usual garden maintenance (other than the grass cutting and occasional tree work) that I do on the side.

I've got a decent mower and a good chainsaw set up but I need the following -

Hedge cutters

Med-small strimmer

Blower

Any hand tools (other than basics)

I think the following year I'll invest in a trailer and probably a polesaw with all the trimmings but for now that is all the equipment in need, as I'm only doing small-medium gardens after work or on weekends. I'm keen to hear what everyone recommends, especially on battery powered stuff and I prefer sthils but I'm willing to consider other stuff.

what exactly do you intend to expand into...  more garden jobs, landscape jobs or tree cuttin jobs.

or all of the above....   

Just some idea's to be goin on with....

Sounds like a kombi-system would suit your needs. The attachments are very expensive for what they are, but still cheaper than buying separate dedicated tools. Maybe try Tanaka or Echo instead if Stihl, might be better value for money for that kind of thing. Or go for the €150 Lidl Florabest kombi, strimmer polesaw and hedger and use until it wears out. Or brand name used? A tripod ladder would be a good investment and probably a big 2 wheel wheelbarrow. 

• Thanks 1

A good garden shredder, electric. As big a throughput and thickness capacity as possible. Or a real, but small, diesel/petrol chipper. A Wee Chipper in fact! See the popular thread of the same name here on Arbtalk. Makes waste disposal so much quicker and easier if you're working small scale.
The Stihl Kombi-system is great as far as performance and reliability and versatility goes. Expensive though.

• Thanks 1