020av clutch help please

Say

I had a look around there were a couple of youtube vids with the old clutch on them. But I could not see a newer clutch fitted. 

But it like I said, the 200t has an outboard clutch and does not have a cover like the older saws.and it don’t have any probs with saw dust. The020  ipl don’t show it with the newer clutch. So I would say it will be fine as the new clutch has a nut on it and as long as it’s done up to the right torque spec-ish.

cheers

20 minutes ago, billpierce said:

I reckons your good with the nut and washer. The anticlockwise thread will keep it on as with most outboard clutches. When I have had a clutch off I try and remember to engage the chain brake soon after with the chain going a bit to nip it up right good.

I'm not sure about that. the last time a guy used a 261 i was using on my cs31 course, he wacked on the chain break a bit to soon (chain was still spinning fast) it undid the clutch.  But I will say I never put the clutch on, so I don’t know who or how good it was put on.

lucky it was at the end of the day, I found out in the morning, when I could not rotate the chain (trying to sharpen it) without turning over the engine. I put it on good after.

Anyhow  just be sure that washer is not fouling (touching) the clutch shoes. 

The clutch won't undo when the brake is put on, it may spin off if the clutch is not on tight and you rev the saw then throttle off fast - seen it mostly on 357XPs and 346XPs mostly. Jamming the brake on does it up!

Your 261 clutch had undone locking the drum to the retaining washer and e clip.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spudulike said:

The clutch won't undo when the brake is put on, it may spin off if the clutch is not on tight and you rev the saw then throttle off fast - seen it mostly on 357XPs and 346XPs mostly. Jamming the brake on does it up!

Your 261 clutch had undone locking the drum to the retaining washer and e clip.

Hi spud, have you read my earlier posts regarding my issues as I'm struggling to find any info anywhere else

cheers

From the IPL, you have two clutches, one with friction material, a dust cover and a nut on the end and the other which looks like it is just spun on and needs no cover etc.

The later part without the cover is 1120 160 2003. The older friction covered clutch with the cover should have the cover put on with the inner domed part against the clutch and not like you have fitted it.

The part you have fitted, looks like the clutch from the 020T/MS200T which is part 1129 160 2000 but can't be 100% sure but that is how it looks to me.

The part you have fitted should work OK, it isn't designed to fit to that saw but as long as the thread is the same, it spins on in a anti clockwise direction and is the same outer diameter, it may be a workaround but don't come back if it fails, grenades or does damage!!!

The friction covered clutch has the cover to stop the dust coming out. Modern clutches don't need a cover as others have said.

Hi bill, do you think the nut is on far enough to be ok then 
I'd say the nut isn't on far enough but the newer type clutch wont need the cover and nut on. That nut doesnt hold the clutch on just the washer cover I think.

I'd try it without nut or clutch cover personally. But cant promise you this is correct! Def keep an eye on it!

Thanks for info guys very helpfull.

The place I got the clutch from said I could no longer get the old type so gave me the new one, part number is correct spud. It seems from my research that these saws are from the 70s and parts are scarce unless I can find a donor. As I’ve said the saw runs great now I’ve set it up and want to try and keep it original but not at the expense of silly money. USA has lots of spares but expensive with delivery as well. I will keep an eye out and see if one comes on here for spares. If any of the members have one under the bench please let me know. 

Thanks again for early response much appreciated 

I did have a couple of these and both are long gone now.

Stick your helmet, defenders, all your PPE on and then rev the bejesus out of it through some big wood. If that new clutch isn't ragingly hot and smoking and the side cover hasn't burst with bits of clutch hitting it after 10 minutes use then you probably have your solution. If you can't find an original unit then hopefully, the MS200t one you have will do the job. Looks like the same diameter and it has spun on OK so run it without the dust cover and nut that was originally fitted and see what happens.

• Like 1