Chainsaw milling chain, which one ??

MattyF

I have been using an Oregon skip chain on the mill and today swapped it out for a stihl ripping chain, what a difference!!
What chains have what characteristics in the world of chainsaw milling...my only doubt with the stihl was maybe it was a little rougher on finish but was nearly twice the speed! Are there any faster chains out there?

1 hour ago, MattyF said:

I have been using an Oregon skip chain on the mill and today swapped it out for a stihl ripping chain, what a difference!!
What chains have what characteristics in the world of chainsaw milling...my only doubt with the stihl was maybe it was a little rougher on finish but was nearly twice the speed! Are there any faster chains out there?

Which skip chain did you use? From what Ive read lately the new Hyper Skip and the one below that are meant to be the bee's knee's. Ive only used Stihl Ripping Chain and was gonna try the Oregon Hyper next. Also interested in others feedback.

• Like 1

I’ll have to check ! I have had both an Oregon or Carlton on before not sure which one was on last... it was not the hyper though for sure.

Pretty sure there is an other Oregon in the box to try but it won’t be a new one as they came with a GB bar with the mill brought years ago..

Was just wondering if any new chains had been developed. The hyper looks good.

3 minutes ago, MattyF said:

I’ll have to check ! I have had both an Oregon or Carlton on before not sure which one was on last... it was not the hyper though for sure.
Pretty sure there is an other Oregon in the box to try but it won’t be a new one as they came with a GB bar with the mill.

Cool, would be good to know for sure which to avoid! ?

cant say I thought the Stihl Chain is that fast. But 99% of the wood I’ve milled is beech and oak. 

What is the finish like on the low pro?
The stihl lo pro cuts well fast and gives a smooth finish, didnt find the granberg noticeably better. Not tried the Oregon skip but found the 10 degree milling chain they do slow but smooth finish.

Pretty much just been using stihl 404 normal chain sharpened to 20 degrees rather than 30 or whatever and seems ok speed wise but a bit rough.

Been working my way through a few big loops of Oregon 325 on the double ender which is rapid and pretty smooth, but hard to compare as 2 power heads.

Hard to know for sure as usually stick with a chain for a specific log and they are a bit different dimensions/ cleaness etc

5 hours ago, MattyF said:

I've been using the Archer ripping chain on .325 from chainsaw bars.  The speed seems ok as does the finish but as that all I've used since I bought my mill a few months back I don't have anything else to compare it to.  I should add that as I'll most likely make cutting or serving boards out of what I mill then they will always go through the planer, so maybe I'm not so fussed about a super smooth finish from the off.

It is noticebaly cheaper than the Granberg chain either way.

On a related note, I do hand file my crosscut chains but have read that you need to be much more precise with the angles and uniformity of teeth for ripping.  Do people hand file still or use a guide for their ripping chains?