Scattolini tipper

dig-dug-dan

38 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

I discovered that if i tip to maximum height, it comes back down as far as the bottom section, then stops. Pressing  the up a bit then down makes no difference, it still stops. Once its fully lowered after jumping up and down on the back, if i raise the tipper up past the bottom sdction, the lower it, it goes all the way down.

Curious!

I would expect the  biggest diameter bit to be the last to lower and first to push out as the pressure on that section is the lowest from the imposed weight. My trolley jack has some sort of two stage pressure release, the first turn lowers the load but then it needs another turn for the  jack to retract fully, I just wonder if there is something similar happening here that is causing a small residual pressure to stay in the ram.

38 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Have yet to remove the pipe as no sure i can get underneath to connect it back up again as the body will be down!

Yes don't create a situation you cannot get out of, as HTB says try the other end if there are no obvious valves in between.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

Curious!

I would expect the  biggest diameter bit to be the last to lower and first to push out as the pressure on that section is the lowest from the imposed weight. My trolley jack has some sort of two stage pressure release, the first turn lowers the load but then it needs another turn for the  jack to retract fully, I just wonder if there is something similar happening here that is causing a small residual pressure to stay in the ram.

Yes don't create a situation you cannot get out of, as HTB says try the other end if there are no obvious valves in between.

Both are tricky. One thing that may or may not be related, i couldnt tip the other day and heard a funny noise from underneath, drove round the yard over a few bumps, tipper worked, and discovered one of the wires that bolts onto the cut off switch was dodgy, so i cleaned it up witha wire brush, connected it back up and it was after that that i got this new problem!

Spoke to the guys at vfs, who have said its either the power pack(unlikely as it goes up fine) , the ram or the lowering valve.

I favour the valve, and they have said they will send one, but are not keen on me fitting it as the body will come crashing down. I was thinking about propping the body up and holding it with the avant first!

Not actually sure where the lowering valve is located however!

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Not actually sure where the lowering valve is located however! 

I'm not surprised they suggested not doing it yourself as it tends to be bolted directly onto a manifold between the reservoir and electric motor. If you look at the tipping electrics you can usually see what looks like a starter motor, this is bolted to a manifold and the pump is bolted the opposite side of the manifold. You probably won't see the pump as that is often submerged in the reservoir which is also the other side from the motor.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/12/2018 at 21:59, openspaceman said:

I'm not surprised they suggested not doing it yourself as it tends to be bolted directly onto a manifold between the reservoir and electric motor. If you look at the tipping electrics you can usually see what looks like a starter motor, this is bolted to a manifold and the pump is bolted the opposite side of the manifold. You probably won't see the pump as that is often submerged in the reservoir which is also the other side from the motor.

An update for you. Eventually got hold of an engineer at vfs. My goodness these guys are hard to deal with, they never get back to you!

Anyway, after a few tests, he has confirmed i need a new ram.

They have quoted around 600 plus vat, fitted, on site! I was quite happy given the fact i was quoted 800 to repair locally, and i would have to have removed it and put it back on again!

Plus i can sell the old ram on ebay.!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Problem sorted today. The engineer went to remove the ram and discovered tne two pivot bearings either side of the two lugs had seized, so when  the ram went up, it was forced to bend and then jam.

He freed them up, and i will be getting a refund as no new ram required!

Slightly surprised there was no way of lubricating them, they are designed like that!