Scattolini tipper

dig-dug-dan

Got an annoying problem just developed. My scattolini tipper goes up, no problem, comes down ok, until it gets to the last section of the ram, and then it stops. The only way i can get it to go back down, is to jump up and down on the body while pressing the lowering button. 

Its fine if there is weight in the back. 

Vfs are saying i need a new ram. Truck is sold once my new one appears so i dont want the guy who is buying mine to have a problem.

Also, its only 4 years old, so whilst out of warranty, should be covered by some sort of consumer rights or another?

20181204_125931.jpg

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Got an annoying problem just developed. My scattolini tipper goes up, no problem, comes down ok, until it gets to the last section of the ram, and then it stops. The only way i can get it to go back down, is to jump up and down on the body while pressing the lowering button. 

Its fine if there is weight in the back. 

Vfs are saying i need a new ram. Truck is sold once my new one appears so i dont want the guy who is buying mine to have a problem.

Also, its only 4 years old, so whilst out of warranty, should be covered by some sort of consumer rights or another?

20181204_125931.jpg

Does it go down under its own weight if you slack off the hydraulic union to let oil out? If not then it probably is a ram problem.

Could of suggested someone but your a way away. Dont write your ram off easily though cos they can be stripped, re-valved and re-sealed alot of the time for very reasonable money. Yours looks nice and clean with no abrasion / scoring visible to the surface.

37 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Will try that. Slacken off  The pipe that joins the ram at the bottom?

Yes but have something to catch the oil.

There may be a hydraulic "fuse"  attached to the cylinder, this is there to prevent the body descending too fast. Once they have acted they lock the oil in the cylinder  until they are reset by  pressurising the ram again. I have never had this problem, or indeed had one in any of my tippers, the way around  it will be once it has stuck  raise the body an inch on or two and then lower again.

18 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Yes but have something to catch the oil.

There may be a hydraulic "fuse"  attached to the cylinder, this is there to prevent the body descending too fast. Once they have acted they lock the oil in the cylinder  until they are reset by  pressurising the ram again. I have never had this problem, or indeed had one in any of my tippers, the way around  it will be once it has stuck  raise the body an inch on or two and then lower again.

I discovered that if i tip to maximum height, it comes back down as far as the bottom section, then stops. Pressing  the up a bit then down makes no difference, it still stops. Once its fully lowered after jumping up and down on the back, if i raise the tipper up past the bottom sdction, the lower it, it goes all the way down.

Have yet to remove the pipe as no sure i can get underneath to connect it back up again as the body will be down!