How do you keep yourself motivated?

Woodworks

28 minutes ago, Big J said:

Ya big girls blouse! I was up in Dulverton today dropping off firewood for my wife's aunt and uncle and it wasn't that bad! ?

So lets get this right. You sat inside a dry van and then sat inside the house, in the dry, having a brew whilst poor auntie unloaded logs in the rain  ?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, woodwizzard said:

So lets get this right. You sat inside a dry van and then sat inside the house, in the dry, having a brew whilst poor auntie unloaded logs in the rain  ?

The unloading was of course preceded by coffee and biscuits, but I unloaded the trailer at lightening speed with K's uncle inbetween showers :D

On 07/12/2018 at 16:22, woodwizzard said:

Didn't need to look out of the window this morning to know it wasn't going to happen. Spent the day in the shed tinkering on the motorbike.

I have loads of stuff to tinker with in dry sheds with the radio going but days I have set aside for that can be my least motivated??  And these are the things I'm supposed to enjoy! 

But last Wednesday I had to litter pick a blackthorn thicket that I couldn't walk through to 5 meters deep from the edge, using a hook on a pole!! It was pissing down, I had been on a big job all the weekend before and was shattered Tuesday night, I should have finished the litter picking on the first day on site but didn't so I was technically working for nothing- all the conditions to make you completely demotivated!!!

But I was there at 7 in the morning, happily picking by torchlight and by the time the small skip arrived at 8:30 I was 3/4s done! 

There's just no rhyme or reason to it as they say!!?

• Like 1

I've been binge listening to addiction "Intervention" episodes on YouTube on my portable speaker while I work. Makes working in the rain and wind, in the dark, a holiday by comparison to some people's lives. It really works!

You have issues?

36 minutes ago, Mull said:

You have issues?

We all have issues dude. Some have heavier crosses to bare than others though. When one listens to the hardships that some people have to live under, addiction and the families of addicts - in this instance - it makes one's own problems seem a thing of nothing by comparison!

• Like 5

This!

10 hours ago, william127 said:

I have loads of stuff to tinker with in dry sheds with the radio going but days I have set aside for that can be my least motivated??  And these are the things I'm supposed to enjoy! 

But last Wednesday I had to litter pick a blackthorn thicket that I couldn't walk through to 5 meters deep from the edge, using a hook on a pole!! It was pissing down, I had been on a big job all the weekend before and was shattered Tuesday night, I should have finished the litter picking on the first day on site but didn't so I was technically working for nothing- all the conditions to make you completely demotivated!!!

But I was there at 7 in the morning, happily picking by torchlight and by the time the small skip arrived at 8:30 I was 3/4s done! 

There's just no rhyme or reason to it as they say!!?

I have found that, as above, it can often be a tedious, mindless, even difficult, unpleasent & repetitive job, that is the best antidote, essentially one that does not require one to think.

But one that clearly shows what one has achieved.

Like pressure washing the yard or pruning a tangle of bastard jaggy bastard Gooseberry bushes, in the rain.

marcus

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

I've been binge listening to addiction "Intervention" episodes on YouTube on my portable speaker while I work. Makes working in the rain and wind, in the dark, a holiday by comparison to some people's lives. It really works!

Haha I might try this now. Gotta go an do a days grind cos I took Friday off as it was crapping it down. 

hmm. Yeah some days one does wonder what was the point in all that. Some jobs are a lot more boring than others, that's for sure. 

I think the best days are based on how much you can achieve. 

But on days where you can't be bothered, then I would say the best thing to do is find a purpose for doing something and then do that. I believe purpose to do something is key otherwise its seriously boring. 

Life is what you make it, as they say. 

• Like 1