How do you keep yourself motivated?

Woodworks

13 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

I do help out as a groundy from time to time so maybe should look to do a bit more of that.

Works for me.  I'm retired from the day job and have plenty of my own work to do but still do the odd day for a fairly local company:  it's good to get out.  I learn, I meet other people and go to different places.  The whole occasional 'out of the ordinary' experience has benefits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matthew Storrs said:

it does take a lot of enthusiasm and motivation for the job to get out there on your own time after time.

Tell the client 'I'll be there 9am' or whatever. You've then given yourself a deadline - something to work to; the time pressure becomes your motivation.

I can only echo the words of others, but I certainly find working as part of a team motivational. I work between two different firms on the whole, and the crack is different at both, but in a good way. Variety does make life interesting.

Personally, I enjoy seeing other people succeed too, and take a lot of inspiration from it, an “if they can do it, I can do it” approach.

I’m about to embark on a whole new chapter of work,  and have really enjoyed seeing the likes of Big J, LGP Eddie etc getting stuck into new ventures. Inspirational stuff. 

Id also add about not being afraid to ask for help or advice if you need it. You’ve done well by starting this thread to be fair, but there is nothing wrong with chatting to folk for ideas.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

That's a familiar tale to many on here for sure. Like a lot of us working from base camp at least you can spend some quality time on Arbtalk, which can make you feel less isolated. I find its always good to have things to look forward to, if your a shooting person you will know exactly what I mean. Children coming home even etc etc. You have to be pro active and even take up something new.

I once read a major tidy up can do wonders to lift the spirit ( can't say I've tried that yet looking around here!) Maybe think back to things you really enjoyed in the past, which could give you new ideas. Lots worse off than all of us put together remember. Chin up, Christmas is coming!

know where u coming from arb, struie x gamekeeper.

I guess that most of us if you’ve been in the job long enough lose our mo-jo now and again,however motivated we are.
It helps if you price your jobs high enough so even if it’s a kind of boring mundane kind of workday,at least you’re going home with a wad of the large variety.
It’s the money that has always kept me going, and continues to do so,even though most of the boys I grew up with retired years ago to sit on their sofa watching homes under the hammer or walk their dog down the street 4 times a day.
But most of the time it’s a joy to be out in the fresh air with the sun shining, and woodchip flying, and still getting paid for it.

• Like 2

On 04/12/2018 at 17:07, stihlmadasever said:

Nowt wrong with a lego tree bud?

To address the questions asked by the op,id say join a group.

Group pastimes or hobbies are great at gettin you off your arse and has the bonus motivation of knowing others are depending on you.

Reading and improving your knowledge is also great.

Funnily enough i joined a political group recently cause im sick of moaning about tories/labour/Snp shafting people so ive done something about it now and it feels good to be proactive,tryin to help folk like myself.

If your lookin for something worthwhile then perhaps volunteer your time at a food bank or help families struggling in working poverty...oops im gettin political.

You get my drift dont you

First step is the hardest

Good luck matey

Great post:thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/12/2018 at 10:20, Woodworks said:

Starting to find it harder and harder to get on with my work and rarely go out in an evening either. I was wondering what drives others to be so productive and energetic.

Need, greed and feed :) With age and weariness it subsides a little but generally unless there is a goal you may as well hang up your boots.

Bob

• Like 2

Interesting topic. 

Some days I'm driven and ready to attack the day, others I dread it. Currently I'm on a job that I'm hating and I knew I would, knowing it would be a bast*** and the weather is also depressing as hell.  

On the no motivation, doom and gloom days, I just get on with it. I tell myself things could be worse, self pity is futile. Every man has to work. On the motivation days I CAPITALISE on that free drive and get as much done as humanly possible. 

I find the hardest bit dealing with customers, when you just wanna be doing bugger all at home with your feet up. Faking that enthusiasm about their project that I am undertaking can be draining if I really don't give a crap. I hate being disingenuous, even if it is just faking peppyness. 

My current goal is to maximise profit and minimise effort. Garnering regular smaller well paid 1 hour jobs so you can get a few days per month where you earn a days wages in 2-4 hours helps the motivation. I avoid working for friends and family as much as possible. I flat out tell them that my intention is to get as much as possible for doing as little as possible and our two objectives are definitely incongruous. I usually recommend trusted friends who don't have biz costs and do a bit of this and that on the weekends who are much cheaper of course than me. 

Don't get me wrong, I sorta like working also and get depressed if I don't do physical stuff to some degree but over working ruins me as well.

Looking forward to 13 days of at xmas, even though I'm flat broke ATM due to OCD spending problems.