How do you keep yourself motivated?

Woodworks

I have never been a go getter and never have any ambition in life. Just patter along taking each day as it comes. Starting to find it harder and harder to get on with my work and rarely go out in an evening either. I was wondering what drives others to be so productive and energetic. I guess there the obvious things like kids, dept and ambition but are there other motivating factors I could tap into? I am not lazy when I work probably quite the opposite but it's getting going that's the hard bit.

Be grateful for any words of wisdom 

• Like 3

Oddly Ww, I have the same problem, though my work/projects in life are so diverse I seem to have to restart my brain in the morning. Am often racing around one day then hardly bother other days. Problys a psychiatric paper been written on this. Wouldn't call myself ambitious but am dogged an driven. K

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Woodworks said:

I have never been a go getter and never have any ambition in life. Just patter along taking each day as it comes. Starting to find it harder and harder to get on with my work and rarely go out in an evening either. I was wondering what drives others to be so productive and energetic. I guess there the obvious things like kids, dept and ambition but are there other motivating factors I could tap into? I am not lazy when I work probably quite the opposite but it's getting going that's the hard bit.

Be grateful for any words of wisdom 

I think the worst thing you /me or anyone else can do is to start making comparisons with other folks work attitudes or life choices and thinking it makes us deficient in our own life. 

You do what you do and if that means not being a so called .."Go Getter" or having less life "Ambition" ..so be it. Finding a happy balance between doing things that you feel you "Have to" by way of earning a living, but also not being to self critical if you do not want to work all day every day is a good thing i think. If your self employed then being able to do that should maybe be a perk in my opinion.

Inspiration can often come from unexpected situations ,times,places and people....so i feel its no bad thing to look around with out judging yourself by the "So called" modern standards of lifestyle that often seems to shackle us.

I have no "do this "or do "that" answer to your question..... Im not sure that I should anyhow. 

Edited by Sawchip
  • Like 2

Weather doesn’t help either- I get the slump when it’s grey and miserable. After a while if you’ve been doing anything long enough it all becomes an element of ‘Old Hat’! In the sense that I think if something is new, exciting and requires learning new skills or overcoming challenge then generally motivation comes with that.

I totally get where you are coming from Beau. It can be hard to get a bit of get up and go. I do think that necessity is a great motivator-(not applying this to you specifically) but  for eg if you have kids or a farm, real money worries etc then perhaps an element of survival mode kicks in.

I have no staff to arrive in the morning and work on my own much like yourself-getting myself out the door in a morning is usually trumped by the thought of another cup of tea. However once at work- I have no issues at all and in fact regularly work late into the evening simply because I am enjoying whatever it is I am doing and want to keep going.

• Like 2

That's a familiar tale to many on here for sure. Like a lot of us working from base camp at least you can spend some quality time on Arbtalk, which can make you feel less isolated. I find its always good to have things to look forward to, if your a shooting person you will know exactly what I mean. Children coming home even etc etc. You have to be pro active and even take up something new.

I once read a major tidy up can do wonders to lift the spirit ( can't say I've tried that yet looking around here!) Maybe think back to things you really enjoyed in the past, which could give you new ideas. Lots worse off than all of us put together remember. Chin up, Christmas is coming!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Khriss said:

Oddly Ww, I have the same problem, though my work/projects in life are so diverse I seem to have to restart my brain in the morning. Am often racing around one day then hardly bother other days. Problys a psychiatric paper been written on this. Wouldn't call myself ambitious but am dogged an driven. K

Yes my work life can be quite diverse and switching from one thing to another is not always the easiest but then I get bored easily so probably better off that way.

47 minutes ago, Sawchip said:

I think the worst thing you /me or anyone else can do is to start making comparisons with other folks work attitudes or life choices and thinking it makes us deficient in our own life. 

You do what you do and if that means not being a so called .."Go Getter" or having less life "Ambition" ..so be it. Finding a happy balance between doing things that you feel you "Have to" by way of earning a living, but also not being to self critical if you do not want to work all day every day is a good thing i think. If your self employed then being able to do that should maybe be a perk in my opinion.

Inspiration can often come from unexpected situations ,times,places and people....so i feel its no bad thing to look around with out judging yourself by the "So called" modern standards of lifestyle that often seems to shackle us.

I have no "do this "or do "that" answer to your question..... Im not sure that I should anyhow. 

Well maybe not but then others in the same boat may have found ways to help so share your thoughts. 

33 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Weather doesn’t help either- I get the slump when it’s grey and miserable. After a while if you’ve been doing anything long enough it all becomes an element of ‘Old Hat’! In the sense that I think if something is new, exciting and requires learning new skills or overcoming challenge then generally motivation comes with that.

I totally get where you are coming from Beau. It can be hard to get a bit of get up and go. I do think that necessity is a great motivator-(not applying this to you specifically) but  for eg if you have kids or a farm, real money worries etc then perhaps an element of survival mode kicks in.

I have no staff to arrive in the morning and work on my own much like yourself-getting myself out the door in a morning is usually trumped by the thought of another cup of tea. However once at work- I have no issues at all and in fact regularly work late into the evening simply because I am enjoying whatever it is I am doing and want to keep going.

Yes weather does play a part I am sure. It's been a pretty bad month anyway not helped by a foot of rain and lack of sun. Find myself most energised when it's cold and sunny and least so in the heat of the summer. That did my head in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

That's a familiar tale to many on here for sure. Like a lot of us working from base camp at least you can spend some quality time on Arbtalk, which can make you feel less isolated. I find its always good to have things to look forward to, if your a shooting person you will know exactly what I mean. Children coming home even etc etc. You have to be pro active and even take up something new.

I once read a major tidy up can do wonders to lift the spirit ( can't say I've tried that yet looking around here!) Maybe think back to things you really enjoyed in the past, which could give you new ideas. Lots worse off than all of us put together remember. Chin up, Christmas is coming!

Yep a good tidy up has begun. My desk tends to have a deep litter filing system which is not good for the head.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Yes my work life can be quite diverse and switching from one thing to another is not always the easiest but then I get bored easily so probably better off that way.

Well maybe not but then others in the same boat may have found ways to help so share your thoughts. 

Yes weather does play a part I am sure. It's been a pretty bad month anyway not helped by a foot of rain and lack of sun. Find myself most energised when it's cold and sunny and least so in the heat of the summer. That did my head in.

My thoughts are ....Is there a time frame to the situation you find yourself in?

Did ...you... notice and identify your concerns over the situation ?