Fantasy to reality, hot saws... Spud? and others

David Dobedoe

13 minutes ago, Aspen@AAOIL said:

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but you will never get close to the emission benefits of running Aspen without actually using it.

An old chainsaw will have much lower benzene emissions running on Aspen than the leanest burning new models on the market running regular petrol.

Why do you think he said "without"?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

Why do you think he said "without"?

Not that it matters but IMO, probably because he doesn't see the benefits of Aspen enough to justify the cost over regular fuel, what do you think?. Wasn't trying to "threadjack" but merely offering some advice and provide some facts ?

Edited by Aspen@AAOIL

10 minutes ago, Aspen@AAOIL said:

Not that it matters but IMO, probably because he doesn't see the benefits of Aspen enough to justify the cost over regular fuel, what do you think?. Wasn't trying to "threadjack" but merely offering some advice and provide some facts ?

I couldn't speak for him, but probably!

Not knocking your product, but if it were more competitive it'd be far more attractive. I figure 5l of pump fuel and decent 2 stroke costs me between £8-9 quid.  Can't remember what aspen cost, but its more than a couple of quid dearer!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

I couldn't speak for him, but probably!

Not knocking your product, but if it were more competitive it'd be far more attractive. I figure 5l of pump fuel and decent 2 stroke costs me between £8-9 quid.  Can't remember what aspen cost, but its more than a couple of quid dearer!

I wish it could be cheaper too as it would make my job a lot easier! 

I know it sounds a lot more expensive than using regular 2-stroke mix on paper, £9 compared to £15.50 - £20 depending on how its purchased, but in reality, 2-stroke fuel is a very small part of your outgoings as a tree surgeon and most people who make the switch quickly realise that the benefits far outweigh the small increase in operating expenses.

It's one of those things that are hard to justify until you have used it for an extended period of time. A bit like using a ported saw in a way, once you've used the ported version, the standard version will usually feel far inferior.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aspen@AAOIL said:

I wish it could be cheaper too as it would make my job a lot easier! 

I know it sounds a lot more expensive than using regular 2-stroke mix on paper, £9 compared to £15.50 - £20 depending on how its purchased, but in reality, 2-stroke fuel is a very small part of your outgoings as a tree surgeon and most people who make the switch quickly realise that the benefits far outweigh the small increase in operating expenses.

It's one of those things that are hard to justify until you have used it for an extended period of time. A bit like using a ported saw in a way, once you've used the ported version, the standard version will usually feel far inferior.

Fair one, I'm a humble subby, not a company owner. Running your own jobs its easier to build the cost into your overheads. Plus I usually use whatever mix the company has on the day. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/12/2018 at 13:04, Stubby said:

The manufactures true intention is to make money ...

Totally agree the ever more restrictive emissions forced manufactures to use more & more minute oil amounts in the "brew"to pass so this in turn if slavishly followed by Joe Public brings the failure point to nearer the end of warranty "the repairs are going to cost you £400 sir a replacement  saw would be more economical way out "oh Mr saw maker another pile of spares or new saw in shorter time period more £ $ € yippee

You should see some of the uneconomical repair saws I have had in......damn, they are still out there working:thumbup:

One came in a box of bits....strange thing is, all I did was rebuild it as I didn't find too much wrong with it and it is still running over a year later - couldn't understand that one:confused1: Guess the dealer got inside it, got confused at all the bits and gave them back.

I did hear from a customer that his local agent told him his piston ring had broken and showed him the gap in it. The customer told him that the ring should look like that, the gap allows the ring to go on and off the piston and closes up once on the cylinder......WTF:scared1:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, spudulike said:

You should see some of the uneconomical repair saws I have had in......damn, they are still out there working:thumbup:

One came in a box of bits....strange thing is, all I did was rebuild it as I didn't find too much wrong with it and it is still running over a year later - couldn't understand that one:confused1: Guess the dealer got inside it, got confused at all the bits and gave them back.

I did hear from a customer that his local agent told him his piston ring had broken and showed him the gap in it. The customer told him that the ring should look like that, the gap allows the ring to go on and off the piston and closes up once on the cylinder......WTF:scared1:

The joys of brand dealers training/franchise courses

I think the will to fix it is what is needed, with the will, you have the inclination to learn how to diagnose, to repair and to learn more. Just plonking an hourly paid guy on a course isn't going to give the best result as he can just sit there and let it wash over and if he can't fix something, a colleague can sell a new bit of kit to the customer. With what I do, if the item is not fixable I haven't got a backstop.....oh feck, now sounding like a bloody politician!

• Like 3