Fantasy to reality, hot saws... Spud? and others

David Dobedoe

19 minutes ago, Rob D said:

Manufacturers are forced to improve emissions because someone in a high place has deemed it so. Whether they are there to protect us is debateable. Whether regualtions are there to protect us is debateable. I'm not saying they are or they are not - I'm saying it's certainly not clear about the intentions behind much of todays regulation.

I deal with manufacturers and believe me you are incorrect if you think their motives and ways of production are all about making the best possible product for the best price within regulations. It's not even as close to being as simple as that. It's a shame but that is how it is.

Calling Spud 'a chap in a shed with a file' IS knocking his skills so why not be honest about that?

So it's emissions which are sacrificed for the tuning. What do think are the intentions of the manufactures?

I have never met Spud and no idea about his working environment. Calling him a chap in shed was just to emphasise the difference in facilities and resources.  Not meant in any way to be knocking his skills as he is clearly very good at what he does.

8 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

So it's emissions which are sacrificed for the tuning. What do think are the intentions of the manufactures?

At least read my post and then argue it .

Edited by Stubby

44 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

I have never met Spud and no idea about his working environment. Calling him a chap in shed was just to emphasise the difference in facilities and resources.  Not meant in any way to be knocking his skills as he is clearly very good at what he does.

What a great question - and I truly mean that. It's the sort of question we should be asking much more of.

Us lowly mortals will never know what the manufacturers true intentions are. I doubt it is what they publish in their shiny catelogues. Even free speech feels hampered as there are certain things that are obvious but are not allowed to be said too loudly... even on here. I've had messages in the past telling me it would be 'wise not to pursue that line of enquiry too hard'. Don't think it doesn't happen - it does. The higher up you go the more shadier the deals. Everything at the sales end is very polished and official - your perception is it gets more polished and official as you go up... it doesn't!

Our issue is we tend to accept everything that is fed to us by official news broadcast or shiny sales catelogue. We should question everything we are told. Everything! Yes tuning may be sacrificed to keep to emissions standards - but we don't know if that is true. We don't have the know how to say if this is true. Spud probably has a better idea but again - if he started bringing out real evidence to contrary and making too loud a noises maybe there would be a few safety related policies of 'thou shalt not modify your saw as you are putting yourself and workers at risk [no doubt with a couple of gory stories of how so and so modified his saw and because of this injured or killed someone else]'.

Health and safety is of the utmost of importance in this industry - so why is much of health and safety not about health and safety? Why are we not making more noise about it? Why can joe bloggs go to B&Q and buy a chainsaw without the accompanying safety gear - it is complete and utter madness!! Most injuries we have are by one handing a top handle in a tree or on the ground - answer? Put writing all over the box to say 'don't use this saw unless you blah blah blah' no one reads this! What's the point of it? That's not health and safety that's just a blatant waste of paper!

Us smaller folk can quickly be cut down by the big players hence I feel brave enough to post this on here but would not be brave enough to make a big deal of it... but that may change. Things need to change in my opinion. And it'll be us that needs to do it...

Spud has been doing his stuff long enough and well enough to be good at it. He has to be to be successful to get work. That is a good motivation to be good at what you do. He may not have the same resources and facilities but because he is his own man and has clear objectives without having his hands tied by politics and nonsense likely his opinions and thoughts carry more weight than virtually anyone else out there offical or otherwise.

Anyways sorry not sure where that lot came from - but I am de railing this thread so apologies all. Was going to delete it all but sod it not going to!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

I dont think you get something for nothing but you do so fair enough.

Questioning porting on here is apparently blasphemy so I will leave it.

Ok woodie . I don't think you get something for nothing as it goes but hey ho .  You carry on using your stock saws and I/we will carry on using our ported saws .   ( you should at least try one if you get the chance )  It  would be a dull old world if we were all the same bud .  ? @Woodworks

19 minutes ago, Rob D said:

What a great question - and I truly mean that. It's the sort of question we should be asking much more of.

Us lowly mortals will never know what the manufacturers true intentions are. I doubt it is what they publish in their shiny catelogues. Even free speech feels hampered as there are certain things that are obvious but are not allowed to be said too loudly... even on here. I've had messages in the past telling me it would be 'wise not to pursue that line of enquiry too hard'. Don't think it doesn't happen - it does. The higher up you go the more shadier the deals. Everything at the sales end is very polished and official - your perception is it gets more polished and official as you go up... it doesn't!

Our issue is we tend to accept everything that is fed to us by official news broadcast or shiny sales catelogue. We should question everything we are told. Everything! Yes tuning may be sacrificed to keep to emissions standards - but we don't know if that is true. We don't have the know how to say if this is true. Spud probably has a better idea but again - if he started bringing out real evidence to contrary and making too loud a noises maybe there would be a few safety related policies of 'thou shalt not modify your saw as you are putting yourself and workers at risk [no doubt with a couple of gory stories of how so and so modified his saw and because of this injured or killed someone else]'.

Health and safety is of the utmost of importance in this industry - so why is much of health and safety not about health and safety? Why are we not making more noise about it? Why can joe bloggs go to B&Q and buy a chainsaw without the accompanying safety gear - it is complete and utter madness!! Most injuries we have are by one handing a top handle in a tree or on the ground - answer? Put writing all over the box to say 'don't use this saw unless you blah blah blah' no one reads this! What's the point of it? That's not health and safety that's just a blatant waste of paper!

Us smaller folk can quickly be cut down by the big players hence I feel brave enough to post this on here but would not be brave enough to make a big deal of it... but that may change. Things need to change in my opinion. And it'll be us that needs to do it...

Spud has been doing his stuff long enough and well enough to be good at it. He has to be to be successful to get work. That is a good motivation to be good at what you do. He may not have the same resources and facilities but because he is his own man and has clear objectives without having his hands tied by politics and nonsense likely his opinions and thoughts carry more weight than virtually anyone else out there offical or otherwise.

Anyways sorry not sure where that lot came from - but I am de railing this thread so apologies all. Was going to delete it all but sod it not going to!

The manufactures true intention is to make money ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1