Fantasy to reality, hot saws... Spud? and others

David Dobedoe

7 minutes ago, David Dobedoe said:

Thanks for the replies so far, any thoughts as to modding older saws or new?

What sort of costs for spud to take a reasonable saw and doing his thing to it?

Most of my saws are ported and I believe I was one of , or Steves first customer . I have a 346XP that is a 2004 model and still going strong . I don't think it compromises reliability  , in fact quite the opposite as it makes them run cooler and more efficiently .  He has worked on my 372 , my 390 . All showing noticeable gains 

1 minute ago, Pete Mctree said:

I agree about the emissions, but economy? Your using a smaller saw saw logic says that it is potentially cheaper.

Just quoting what I have been told when asked about ported saw previously. Never used one myself. I want clean emissions without going to the expense of Aspen

5 minutes ago, Pete Mctree said:

I agree about the emissions, but economy? Your using a smaller saw saw logic says that it is potentially cheaper.

Disagree about emissions also . OK you are passing more fuel through the saw but it is burning more efficiently .  As for economy not a big difference . Don't forget you are cutting faster so less time on the trigger .  If you are using shorter bars you can usually go up to an 8 pin from a standard 7 pin giving more chain speed . This will sacrifice a little torque  so not a good idea on longer bars .

Edited by Stubby

24 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Disagree about emissions also . OK you are passing more fuel through the saw but it is burning more efficiently .  As for economy not a big difference . Don't forget you are cutting faster so less time on the trigger .  If you are using shorter bars you can usually go up to an 8 pin from a standard 7 pin giving more chain speed . This will sacrifice a little torque  so not a good idea on longer bars .

So Stubby I am not buying it. Manufacturers put massive efforts and resources into the development of saws. You say a chap in a shed with a file (sorry spud not knocking your skills as clearly are very good at what you do) can achieve something no one else can? Na it's a compromise. You have a square of fuel, emission, power and longevity and if you up one another has to give. Manufacturers are forced to improve emissions to meet regulations which lets face it are there to protect us.

Edited by Woodworks

2 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

So Stubby I am not buying it. Manufacturers put massive efforts and resources into the development of saws. You say a chap in a shed with a file (sorry spud not knocking your skills as clearly are very good at what you do) can achieve something no one else can? Na it's a compromise. You have a triangle of fuel, emission and power if you up one another has to give. Manufacturers are forced to improve emissions to meet regulations which lets face it are there to protect us.

Life is a compromise .  You don't have to by it bud . Thats fine .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

The " square " of fuel , emission , power and longevity as you put it , " up one and one has to give "  is not quite as simple as that . When the saw is ported it runs  cooler and more efficiently so it is not working so  hard for a given task , say a 16" diameter log cross cutting . The ported saw goes through in say 10 seconds the stock saw say 15 seconds .  The ported saw is quicker because it is less restricted . It burns more fuel but burns it more efficiently and because it is quicker in the cut there is less time on the throttle than the stock saw . X this by all day and you have certainly no more emissions and maybe less . The saw lasts for say 7 years cos it does not struggle to over come restrictions the stock saw lasts say 5 years because it works harder .  @Woodworks

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

So Stubby I am not buying it. Manufacturers put massive efforts and resources into the development of saws. You say a chap in a shed with a file (sorry spud not knocking your skills as clearly are very good at what you do) can achieve something no one else can? Na it's a compromise. You have a square of fuel, emission, power and longevity and if you up one another has to give. Manufacturers are forced to improve emissions to meet regulations which lets face it are there to protect us.

Manufacturers are forced to improve emissions because someone in a high place has deemed it so. Whether they are there to protect us is debateable. Whether regualtions are there to protect us is debateable. I'm not saying they are or they are not - I'm saying it's certainly not clear about the intentions behind much of todays regulation.

I deal with manufacturers and believe me you are incorrect if you think their motives and ways of production are all about making the best possible product for the best price within regulations. It's not even as close to being as simple as that. It's a shame but that is how it is.

Calling Spud 'a chap in a shed with a file' IS knocking his skills so why not be honest about that?

• Like 4